Are these Mites/Louse or what? How to treat naturally and effective? Please help!!!

@Vickischics, you mentioned repeating the cleaning process in about a week. So, in the meantime, should our henhouse not have any beddings? Or just replace some new hemp now and then one week later replace again?
Thanks!
Correct.
Since your Hemp is pretty expensive to throw it out in a week, purchase some Pine Flakes at TS at $5.99? In the meantime for them. Trust me, they will not mind slumming it for a week to get rid of the lice.
If you can't burn it, put it in the trash.
Then after the next cleanup, use you Hemp.

Thanks @007Sean
How about the chicken run? Do I also spay Permethrin on the dirt on the chicken run floor? Our run is just the original dirt ground in our yard with additional dried leaves/plants. Or will Diatomaceous Earth work?

Thanks!
Yes, spray EVERYTHING!!!
No need to use DE, DE does not work. Don't waste your money.

Here are some informative links about DE for your reading pleasure.

Attachments

• 20201023_182338.jpg
    20201023_182338.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 7
Correct.
Since your Hemp is pretty expensive to throw it out in a week, purchase some Pine Flakes at TS at $5.99? In the meantime for them. Trust me, they will not mind slumming it for a week to get rid of the lice.
If you can't burn it, put it in the trash.
Then after the next cleanup, use you Hemp.
Got it! Thanks!

Yes, spray EVERYTHING!!!
No need to use DE, DE does not work. Don't waste your money.
Here are some informative links about DE for your reading pleasure.
Thank you!

Now that I am spraying almost my whole yard (fence, coop, run, everywhere the chickens hang out. Will Permethrin in the dirt affect the fruit trees and vegetables that we are growing?

I don't know about fruit trees, but if you have any cats, you NEED to keep it away from them. Since cats lick themselves clean, they could get very sick if they ingest the permithrin.

I've used it for lice, worked like a charm! Wear protective gear (gloves and mask, maybe even long sleeves), it won't kill you but always good to be on the safe side!

I don't know about fruit trees, but if you have any cats, you NEED to keep it away from them. Since cats lick themselves clean, they could get very sick if they ingest the permithrin.

I've used it for lice, worked like a charm! Wear protective gear (gloves and mask, maybe even long sleeves), it won't kill you but always good to be on the safe side!
Thanks @SBFChickenGirl We do not have any other animals so it's fine.

Now that I am spraying almost my whole yard (fence, coop, run, everywhere the chickens hang out. Will Permethrin in the dirt affect the fruit trees and vegetables that we are growing?
No need to spray the whole world, permethrin kills all bugs, so keep it in the coop and on the birds. I've found just treating the birds takes care of lice 2-3 treatments 7-10 days apart.

Another question: Since there are so many lice crawling near the chicken's vent (looks like they are crawling in and out), will there be some that are now in the chicken's body? Do we need to get rid of them internally?

My daughter says she saw one poop with blood. Wondering if this is the cause. Thanks!

Personally I prefer using DE. Permethrin may be of natural origin and breaks down, but is still a poison. But this infestation may be to bad to treat with DE ?

I always put a few spoons DE in the sand bath when I fill it up. I never had such feather lice on my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom