Are these pecking injuries or something worse?

CassieD

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
Hi all, last week I noticed blood on one of my girls combs. That led me to checking the other 3. I found injury to the comb of another. Some looked scabbed. It also looks like frostbite pictures to me but its still in the 99’s here in SE Texas. I cleaned applied disinfectant. Don’t know what else to do. There’s some pecking with the girls but not bad or what I would call bullying.The hens are all 9 months old so young. Here are some close up pics

Attachments

• 82C112AD-29E7-4FE0-B7AE-9CCA9EFB69B3.png
    82C112AD-29E7-4FE0-B7AE-9CCA9EFB69B3.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 1BA54257-DF2F-456B-B00D-B63F774FDBF0.png
    1BA54257-DF2F-456B-B00D-B63F774FDBF0.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • F6924444-6D0E-434D-9EF7-4A999F0C7920.png
    F6924444-6D0E-434D-9EF7-4A999F0C7920.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
I would agree that it's likely dry fowl pox.

Fowlpox is a slow-spreading viral disease that often affects chickens. There is no cure for fowl pox, just supportive care, and vaccines. To prevent the lesions from infecting the surrounding tissue, or possibly spreading into the mouth, I would apply either iodine, or an antibacterial ointment a couple of times a day, or as needed.

The lesions are highly contagious so try not to disturb them much. Disinfecting their waterers and feeders may not be a bad idea as well.

In addition to supportive care, you may consider administering the Fowl Pox vaccine. While it won't cure them of the fowl pox, it will help reduce the symptoms of the birds affected, and will help prevent further spreading into the flock. You can find the fowl pox vaccines available here,

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/fowl-pox-vaccine-1000-d

Here is some info on fowl pox,

http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

Thank you both. That is horrible news. I’ll do some more research. Like where it came from or how they got it. Does it effect the safety of their eggs?

Eggs are safe to eat. It is not that bad a disease, especially if it is a milder case. It comes from mosquitoes, and most grown chickens do fine, unless they develop the wet form which causes yellow patches inside the beak and throat. It is very dangerous when young chicks are affected. They tend to get large scabby lesions around or over eyes and nostrils, and may not be able to find water. Do not disturb scabs, since they are considered infectious even when they dry up and fall off, unless they are blocking nostrils or inside the throat causing blockage.

Eggs are safe to eat. It is not that bad a disease, especially if it is a milder case. It comes from mosquitoes, and most grown chickens do fine, unless they develop the wet form which causes yellow patches inside the beak and throat. It is very dangerous when young chicks are affected. They tend to get large scabby lesions around or over eyes and nostrils, and may not be able to find water. Do not disturb scabs, since they are considered infectious even when they dry up and fall off, unless they are blocking nostrils or inside the throat causing blockage.
That makes me feel better. I’ve ordered the vaccine and will vaccinate the 4 tomorrow when it arrives. When ever I add to the flock I’ll vaccinate for this especially since I don’t know how they got infected. Everything I use in the coop and run (gloves, shoes, rakes, bags) i only use around the chickens

That makes me feel better. I’ve ordered the vaccine and will vaccinate the 4 tomorrow when it arrives. When ever I add to the flock I’ll vaccinate for this especially since I don’t know how they got infected. Everything I use in the coop and run (gloves, shoes, rakes, bags) i only use around the chickens

Keep us posted on their condition, best of luck.

You say you don’t know how they got infected, but it is spread by mosquitoes that sting them inside and outside the coop. It is most common in late summer into fall. The deep south state innthe US or in tropical regions have the most fowl pox and worse cases. Here in the Ohio valley, we seldom even see it. I have seen exactly 2 pox scabs on my chickens in 9 years. Chickens who get pox will be immune to it in the future. If it is a mild strain, it might be better to let them get it. The vaccine will take a few weeks to become effective, and it is normall given to certain age chickens on the wing webbing.

Here is a good bideo of how to give a pox vaccination:

I put in a vegetable garden close to the run that stays moist and I have noticed mosquitos in the area even though we have a DynaTrap near by. Thank you everyone again for your input!

Back
Top Bottom