Are these really barred rock chicks?

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
Ok so this week i went to my local tractor supply to look for chicks for my silkie to raise. They had a huge bin of black chicks that said black sex link. So i picked 6 with no white dot on the head. Then today i go in and hand written on the same bin of chicks now says black australorp. So annoyed because i wanted pullets. Now some feathers are coming in and they all have white on the tips of their wings and look like they may be barred but they had all black heads as a female bsl. These pictures arent the best and are from 2 days ago. Will try to add more tomorrow.

Last edited:
They're Australorp chicks. It's very common for them to have white in the wings in the juvenile plumage, it molts out as they grow adult feathers.

Barred Rock chicks would have a white head spot and the wings would have bars of white, not solid white feathers.

Our local TSC has been doing a grand job of mislabeling chicks this year. Also the quality of some of their breeds (silkies especially) has been very poor. It looks as if they have changed suppliers.

But black australorps would not have white in their wings? I will add more pictures tomorrow of them now that their wings are beginning to feather

My 3 week old BA has white at the tips of her wings and has since she began feathering. I've been told this is normal and they will be lost at first molt.

Ironically, she was also bought due to a mislabel - I was told she was a BR and I was too uneducated at that point to know better.

Back
Top Bottom