Are these roosters? Six weeks old chicks, barnyard mix....

Kakaruk

Songster
Feb 18, 2020
Hello friends,

I have raised lots of chickens but I always had pullets or meat birds, I never paid attention to sex. These three all look like they might be roosters to me at six weeks. (Yes, they were born Easter weekend!) Is the growth consistent with what you think are roosters? Would you say it's 100% at this point?

They are not crowing yet but still in the peeping phase. The other two do not have the comb/wattle red development. I do not know the breed really but they are a 'barnyard mix' that hatched from green or brown eggs.

Thank you for the ideas!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 17
The last 2 are cockerels. Not sure on the first one, it may need some more time. Thin red wattles can be quite normal on pullets in my experience, and it looks like a Polish x so no comb?

Oh man, ok that's waht I thought.

I wonder too about the Polish genes in there. All 5 of these chicks have the tuft sticking up. Is Polish the only breed that does that?

Oh man, ok that's waht I thought.

I wonder too about the Polish genes in there. All 5 of these chicks have the tuft sticking up. Is Polish the only breed that does that?

No, there are many crested breeds. But given the small or lack of comb on the rest, then I’d guess they have Polish genes in there.

Back
Top Bottom