Are these two 10 week olds pullets or roosters?

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
They were hatched from our eggs and are a mix of White Leghorn rooster and a reject from pullet raised from day old that came from a breeder of OE/Araucanas & Ameraucana. I'm thinking the one on the left is a rooster, but I'm on the fence about the one on the right. It looks like it has a single pea comb rather then a single comb.

Introducing Spots and Sunny.

Here is the dad, Foghorn, the white leghorn in the front.

Here is the mom - either it was Bandit on the left who has since passed away. Or possibly Smokey on the right.

Here's the thread about their birth. I'm only unsure about the mom because I mixed eggs from both Smokey and Bandit in the bator at the time.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nd-result-question-update-we-have-2-chicks/20

Well - it's confirmed - Spots (the one on the left) is definitely a rooster (like there was any doubt). He crowed today for the 1st time in front of us - I thought I heard him the other day, but couldn't confirm it. He will be 12 weeks old on Saturday. Too bad. Guess he'll be rehomed when he's 16 weeks old.

Spots is such a good rooster - giving the pullets his treats, clucking in the nest box so the girls know where to lay - I just hate to rehome him. But we can't have so many roosters hanging around. He's starting to get bossy too - grabbing neck feathers and such. I caught him hanging out on the roost last night - normally he hangs out on the 2x4 wall studs with Sunny - she was still up there - but he was cozy sitting in Foghorn's old seat right next to Snow White.

Here's Spots at 15 weeks old he was busy clucking away to Sunny so she would know where to lay. Just like his father Foghorn used to do.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/631843/watch-carefully-ladies-this-is-how-its-done#post_8459911

Yeah! Sunny laid her first egg today June 11th - and it's green just like Bandit used to lay. :) I had locked everyone out of the secured run and coop so I could deep clean it. She kept walking back and forth at the gate. She got up into the windows repeatedly and finally managed to squeeze past me when I opened the gate to get something. She jumped into the empty nest box - I hadn't even put the straw back in it. She moved between the three empty boxes and finally laid her egg. I was surprised as she is just two days past 19 weeks old. YEAH!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom