Are These Two Different Names, The Same Bird ??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RAREROO, Mar 13, 2011.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I have heard that some quail go by a few different names and these look the same to me and I just wanted to check and make sure ?

Manchurians same as Italians ????

Tibetians same as Brittish Range ???

Thanks

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Manchurians are a bit lighter than Italians...I have photos on my website.

Tibetans and British ranges are the same bird, yes.

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Songster

Aug 5, 2010
    my house in maryland
    and ALL of them are COTURNIX.....[​IMG]

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:OK Thanks so much And the males and females both Manchurians and Italians have different colored heads as adults and can be reliably sexed this way correct ?

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yes, they are all coturnix [​IMG] The birds have more distinct markings if you breed the Italians with Pharaoh/Jumbo browns. The colors tend to fade as you breed the same colors together. Got to keep the colors distinct afterall. Plus there is a lethality with in the Italian and Manchurian varieties. 25% of offspring won't hatch.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:So what color(s) do you get when you breed the Italians with the Pharaohs/Browns ?

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You get 75% Gold and 25% Brown if both lines are pure with 25% Dead in shell (due to lethality). Sometimes the back of the browns will get more gold markings on them.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  8. kahlertm

kahlertm Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Now do the tibetans and ranges have any color indication or feather indications or do they rely more on the vent sexing? I will also look at Quaillady's site for this.

Size is also an indicator I would imagine.

On another note, my Italians (3) are all female, evident at only 2.5 weeks due to chest feathering already. Rosettas are a different story.

I would also like to comment that the 3 Italian females are very docile and less fearful at this young age, when handled. (Rather snuggled by a careful and gentle 5 yr old who likes to "nest" them in fleece nests.

Nice Italian line Quaillady.

tonya

9. Robo

Robo Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Vent sexing is pretty hard for people ho don't try it a lot. Hens do have foam because what do you think that rooster puts in them? After they start laying it gets easier to vent sex because you can feel the egg or tell by the size of the vent in most cases. Well, I just like to beer sex.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: