Are these worms??

Chicken_girl_07

Chirping
May 20, 2020
PA
My Coop
My Coop
I’ve noticed dots in some of the droppings I’ve come across. I think they are worms but I’m not very experienced in them. If they are worms, does anyone know what type they are? I am trying to determine what deworming tool to use. I already add apple cider vinegar to their water. The dots are not moving so could they just be eggs?

Attachments

• IMG_2774.jpeg
    IMG_2774.jpeg
    950 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2760.jpeg
    IMG_2760.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2638.jpeg
    IMG_2638.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
They are tapeworm segments. Chickens get tapeworms from eating tapeworm infected insects. You'll need to purchase Equimax equine paste at a feed store to treat tapeworm infected birds. There is no need to treat the whole flock, only the birds that excreted the segments.
Equimax dosage is given orally 0.03ml per pound of weight or 0.15ml for a 5lb bird given orally.
th3G3I95CG  equimax.jpg

They are tapeworm segments. Chickens get tapeworms from eating tapeworm infected insects. You'll need to purchase Equimax equine paste at a feed store to treat tapeworm infected birds. There is no need to treat the whole flock, only the birds that excreted the segments.
Equimax dosage is given orally 0.03ml per pound of weight or 0.15ml for a 5lb bird given orally.
View attachment 3550188
If I deworm a chicken with no worms will it cause any harm? And would I need to hold off on eating their eggs after treating them?

If I deworm a chicken with no worms will it cause any harm? And would I need to hold off on eating their eggs after treating them?
I don’t think it will cause harm, it would just be exposing the chickens to a medication it can become resistant to unnecessarily.

I dewormed and kept eating the eggs with no ill effects. It’s a personal choice - everyone has opinions about it 😊

I would try to find the one who expelled the tapeworm segments to medicate on them. Products with ivermectin and other wormers (praziquantel) usually require a couple of weeks worth of tossing eggs. Not everyone follows that practice however. Here is a thread where I in post 4 (and others) posted earlier about wormer egg withdrawals:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/equimax-farad-withdrawl.1305507/

Back
Top Bottom