Are they all laying?--UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JayDe, Feb 22, 2010.

1. JayDe

JayDe Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    Now they are ALL LAYING!!! Woot! Look at our first dozen and our colored egg [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The long awaited egg from Lovely:

[​IMG]

How do I know if all three of my pullets have started to lay? So far we've gotten about an egg a day/every other since the 11th. Today was the first day we got two in one day. I think it is just two of them so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because they are EEs and their eggs are a light brown ( a bit of a pink tint, but barely)..and I soooo wanted "colored" eggs to WOW my students with--it was the reason we got the EEs before we knew we had to get them from a breeder to get guaranteed blue eggs.

It seems that if they all lay brown my husband has said it'd be ok to get an Aracauna chick if we could get one locally and let a broody raise it when the time comes (we have silkies).

Some of the eggs are longer than the others, so I was thinking that one bird was laying shorter eggs and the other longer ones... Does that make sense? How much of a color variation can they have in the beginning?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There can be quite a bit of color variation. At least that's what I found with my girls (brahmas) when they first started laying. After they got all the kinks worked out in the system it got to the point where I can tell each girl's egg (usually).

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    EE's laying light brown eggs? I have one hatchery EE and her eggs have always been blue/green. Since Suzie is the only EE I've ever had, I dont know if they lay light brown eggs also. I wouldnt worry too much about egg size, and shapes vary. When pullets first start laying,their eggs usually start small but get bigger as time goes by. You'll get 3 eggs all at once soon enough, dont expect to get 3 a day all the time though. They like to take a break every now and then lol.

4. JayDe

JayDe Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    Yep. I have a picture of the first one's first egg....shown here:

[​IMG]

I've seen pictures of light brown/pink to olive green, palish green, and blue.

Mine were from an unknown hatchery. We got them from a feed store across town and didn't know to ask then.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that when the third starts laying her eggs are a different color. She looks nothing like the other two, so maybe they aren't from the same mama.

Thanks!

5. chickenma

chickenma Songster

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Yes, EE lays all kinds of colors
    I had 18 and they lay all kinds of blue and green eggs, mustard color eggs ,army green , light pinkish, brownish they lay pretty eggs for an easter basket.

6. JayDe

JayDe Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    I updated the first post. Funny how that happens. I say something about not getting eggs from her, and she lays the next day!

7. 12GAGirl

12GAGirl Songster

Feb 2, 2010
    Congrats!! I have 8 hens and normally get 6 eggs a day I am still unsure if all of my rir are laying since I get 2 ee eggs, and a cream color from my wyandotte and then three eggs from my rirs.( I have 5 rir) But heck I am happy getting a dozen every two days!

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Very nice! Congrats! And what a dark, green egg!

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG]

10. Bantimna

Bantimna Songster

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Well done! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: