Are they BSL?

Yours do look exactly the same and if I am seeing things correctly in your photos, your suspected male has the same yellow legs as mine does. How old are they in the photos? I am also curious as to the end result. Where did you get your chicks?

Yours do look exactly the same and if I am seeing things correctly in your photos, your suspected male has the same yellow legs as mine does. How old are they in the photos? I am also curious as to the end result. Where did you get your chicks?
“His” are a yellowish gray color... they are right now 8 weeks old (pictures of them outside in the crate was last week at 7 weeks old). I got them at TSC near me

I have to ask.. does your potential male have different coloring than the others? I just noticed today that my two potential cockerels neck/chest colors are a bit different and they have splashes of gold through their backs. All of the females are solid black... my females also have all white in their neck/chest where the others also have gold in those areas.

Attachments

• F6D14B9B-7685-45F3-AE15-8391CE3FF69E.jpeg
    F6D14B9B-7685-45F3-AE15-8391CE3FF69E.jpeg
    937.5 KB · Views: 9
  • E21FAC6C-8720-43BE-9BD8-F4CD589386ED.jpeg
    E21FAC6C-8720-43BE-9BD8-F4CD589386ED.jpeg
    773.9 KB · Views: 7
  • B3EF7D9D-D76F-4E25-99F2-87A98A9CA24E.jpeg
    B3EF7D9D-D76F-4E25-99F2-87A98A9CA24E.jpeg
    726 KB · Views: 7
  • 48067948-6694-4D4F-8383-B83D378481A1.jpeg
    48067948-6694-4D4F-8383-B83D378481A1.jpeg
    543.8 KB · Views: 9
Yes, he does. I believe mine are a week or two younger than yours so the color is not as progressed but it's definitely there. All the rest of mine are still all black or black with the silver/white around the neck and chest

8 weeks
DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, he does. I believe mine are a week or two younger than yours so the color is not as progressed but it's definitely there. I believe that means they are cockerels as well. I have read that the red/gold coming in on the shoulders and wing bow area is a male trait only. All the rest of mine are still all black or black with the silver/white around the neck and chest

8 weeks
View attachment 1354157

View attachment 1354172

View attachment 1354173

View attachment 1354174
Thank you for your reply! I found a thread that you may find interesting that finally put my mind at ease about what breed and sex I have. We no doubt have cockerels and it seems that we essentially got chicks from a BSL mating with another BSL which in turn means there is no more sex link traits at hatch. The pictures of what they will be are BEAUTIFUL.

After more research, I have concluded what I have are most likely Asian Blacks. They came from Hoover Hatchery according to the TSC where I purchased them. The TSC paperwork said they were shipped BSL and as chicks they did indeed look like BSL pullets. I contacted Hoover Hatchery about them and received this reply:

Good morning,
The Asian Black is a cross of our own breeds. It is a combination from several breeds. Sorry I can't help more . Thank you
Rose
Hoover's Hatchery
9:16 AM (2 hours ago)

So I conclude that "Asian Blacks" is a nice way of saying mixed breed or mutt which is fine for me as they are lovely birds and have a very nice temperament, not flighty and seem to enjoy human company. Egg production is supposed to quite good as well.

After more research, I have concluded what I have are most likely Asian Blacks. They came from Hoover Hatchery according to the TSC where I purchased them. The TSC paperwork said they were shipped BSL and as chicks they did indeed look like BSL pullets. I contacted Hoover Hatchery about them and received this reply:

Good morning,
The Asian Black is a cross of our own breeds. It is a combination from several breeds. Sorry I can't help more . Thank you
Rose
Hoover's Hatchery
9:16 AM (2 hours ago)

So I conclude that "Asian Blacks" is a nice way of saying mixed breed or mutt which is fine for me as they are lovely birds and have a very nice temperament, not flighty and seem to enjoy human company. Egg production is supposed to quite good as well.
Awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to try to figure it out and for also sharing with us! I also had played with the thought that’s that what they were but with little to no knowledge and not much information about them I came up short. This would definitely explain why! Thanks again!!

My now 13 week old Asian Blacks have developed their personalities. They are not my favorite chicken, I was a newbie when I got them and kinda thought all chickens acted alike. Duh. Also bought BSL and got these ladies instead. I believe Hoover is breeding for a very large dual purpose bird. My rooster is huge for 13 weeks. They are sort of lazy, free ranging, the run, is not their thing. They prefer to sit in the coop and eat. They are docile and flighty at the same time. The wind blowing scares the crap out of them yet they don't move when I walk into the coop. Mind you I am comparing them to my Blue Andalusians and Silver Laced Wyandottes. They have been very good however with introducing younger birds. No excessive aggresion. They simply run at the younger birds. No pecking at all. I suspect they will be excellent egg layers as well. I'll add pics later.

Back
Top Bottom