Are they not maturing? **PICS ADDED** :)

Yours will get there...patience!

I have 3 BR, one is a bit older than the other two, her comb is quite a bit larger and redder....all are laying now I believe, hard to keep track when you have 13 of them of age!

Here is a pic of one of my BR girls...at 18 weeks

68634_dsc_0115-3.jpg

then again at 21 weeks:

68634_brsun.jpg

I have production birds that all have tiny little combs at 16 weeks. They've been getting bigger and bigger, but combs are staying small. All birds mature at different speeds. As for roosters, my roo, which you can see pictures of if you search my other posts, didn't do his first crow or start mating until about a week ago, and he's easily 7 months old. Some are late bloomers.

Then again, I spent a week playing a cd of roosters crowing for a couple hours a day leading up to that. Sometimes, they need a little push
lol.png

I have a 15 week old BR and she looks similar to yours. Some days she looks redder in the face and comb but then she goes back to pale.

Make sure your chickens are getting plenty of daylight hours (12-14). It's essential for growing birds and their sexual development depends on it. If they have an outdoor pen and it's in the shade for even part of the day, they might not be getting enough sunlight. It doesn't help that the days are growing shorter as we head towards fall. I'd advise rigging up an artificial light for a few extra hours of light if you wish for them to mature earlier, otherwise they probably won't sexually mature until next spring.

They grow and change so fast it's amazing. Perhaps your BR pullets are on the younger side of 16 to 18 wks, if you don't know for sure? My BR started laying at 19 weeks. My BR roo started crowing at 5 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom