Are they not maturing? **PICS ADDED** :)

afj6710

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
I swear my birds don't seem to be maturing. I have 6 BR pullets, around 16-18 weeks. They are all getting bigger and filling out but their combs are NOT getting any bigger or redder. I have 3 BO hens, the same age. Their combs are so tiny and pale, you can barely see them! My BR cockeral (around 18 weeks) is looking much more rooish, so that is a good thing. BUT, I have yet to hear a single crow! I have a BO roo that is 20+ weeks, the ~18 week BR, and two mutts that are around 18 weeks as well (we're not sure how old they were when we got them). I'm POSITIVE that they are all boys but I have heard a single crow. The mutts make weird honking and screeching noises (kind of like a goose and a hawk trying to mate
wink.png
) but nothing that seems to be an attempt at crowing. I asked DH if maybe they are just crowing early in the a.m. and I'm missing it but he says that they'll crow all day long when they start.

Anyone have roosters that were "late crowers"?
And, I'm guessing that it'll be ages before any eggs from the pullets, huh?
sad.png

(If I get a chance, I'm going to take pics of them)

Last edited:
Just another random question: A few of my BR pullets have different tails than the others. A few have short stubby tails and a few have pointy tails that stick straight up. Why?

Relax they will get there soon enough, fast maturing production birds begin laying between 20 and 24 weeks of age usually so you have a while to go don’t worry they will grow up before you know it

Oh and about them not crowing each roo in different, some my only crow every once in a while until they get better at it but the top roo may crow all the time my lil roo didn't really start to crow until he was at least 30 weeks old give it some time and all will be well

Last edited:
Quote:
some could be roos and others hens

I don't think so.
hu.gif
They all have the same dark coloring, all have small, light combs, all have the same rounded build and rounded feathers on neck and no pointy saddle feathers. Nothing at all seems rooish about them.

Pics of some of the chickens:

75089_img_1201.jpg

BO hens:
75089_img_1199.jpg

another pic of some of the BR hens
75089_img_1195.jpg

I'm not trying to rush them to grow up. They just look so much less mature than pics I've seen of other pullets their ages. And, I've always heard that Roos should be crowing by now. AFA eggs go, I'm not expecting them anytime soon but it sure would be nice!
wink.png
I thought I read that production birds start laying around 16 weeks and heritage breeds around 20 weeks?
hmm.png

Oh well, I guess this thread has been good for talking to myself,
gig.gif
:lau

Thanks, cat1994 for replying!
thumbsup.gif

they look good to me!
thumbsup.gif
I'm not sure why your roosters aren't crowing - mine have always crowed (it seems) well before that age. Maybe they are mellow and not worried about competition/threats yet? I haven't had BO's or BR's - but I know it can be frustrating when it seems your thread is lonely for responses
wink.png
As to the tail differences - it could be they have different tail "sets" (where the tail meets the body). I have a BCM hen that looked like it didn't have a tail its tail was set so low....

Be patient - they will mature and lay and crow when their time is right
hugs.gif
What are you feeding them?

I took in six roosters who were 16 weeks old. By 18 weeks only one was crowing, one was kind of doing a scratchy warble, and the rest were quiet little mice!
roll.png
There is no rhyme or reason to it sometimes...

When I seen mine change, it seemed as if it was almost overnight. I look back and mine loked just like yours do, then one day they wer bigger,and very red.......it will happen.....

I am still waiting on 2 to lay for me, when the others have been for almost 6 weeks?? Can't figure out why they haven't started?

I guess they will when they are ready....hard waiting isn't it !!!

Beautiful ladies though
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom