Are they old enough to go out?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CurlyLindsay, May 1, 2009.

1. CurlyLindsay

CurlyLindsay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    MO
    2 questions, I have chickens, guineas, and ducks that I purchased at the same time and I've kept together for the 2 weeks I have had them. Will I always be able to keep them together without problems?

Second, chicks and guineas are almost totally feathered and supposedly should be about 4-5 weeks old. My ducks (mallard) are much larger than the chicks and guineas, but the ducks hardly have any feathers. Can they go out in my coop?

My coup is a little more sheltered than most, I think. I have a shedrow style barn with added solid wood divisions between each stall. We used mesh fence panels to build a coop in the back of a stall, so they're sheltered on 3 sides and have an overhang well over the top of them. There's a heat lamp in the back. Are they okay to go out there? They are getting so big the smell from the trough is getting too much for the garage!

2. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    yea i think if you have a lamp they will be fine.

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My ducklings went out at 3 weeks with no problem.
    I dont know about keeping together,someone else might know the answer

4. calmlake

calmlake Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2008
    Mt. Holly
    ducks can go outside in an enclosed pen as you describe in weather warm enough. they should be at least in 80 degree temps the first 4 weeks until they feather and can keep their bodies warm. a heat lamp is in order until then.

Bill

5. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    My ducks went out at 2 weeks with a heat lamp in 25 night time temps. They never went near the heat lamp and did just fine. They huddle together well so I wouldn't worry about temps. Ducks seem pretty tolerant of being cold and wet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by