Are they ready to lay?

May 26, 2017
My roo and hens are about 5-6 months old. The roo is an EE, the hens are EE, RIR, BR, and silver laced Wyandotte. The roo has started showing some interest in one of the RIRs, and this past weekend he has started crowing (a lot).:hmm

5-6months old is when most hens start laying. Are they squatting when you go to pat their backs? Are they practising their 'egg song'? Are they spending a bit of time in the nest boxes practising their nesting? Are their combs reddening up? Those are all signs of impending egg laying.

5-6months old is when most hens start laying. Are they squatting when you go to pat their backs? Are they practising their 'egg song'? Are they spending a bit of time in the nest boxes practising their nesting? Are their combs reddening up? Those are all signs of impending egg laying.
I'm new to all of this. I think they may be squatting, at least a couple may be. Not all of them want me to touch them. I haven't noticed the combs, need to look at those. As far as the nesting box, I had it fluffed and golf ball inside, and they scratched it all out!

Back
Top Bottom