Are they ready?

sals_chicks

Songster
Jan 31, 2022
New England
I know this topic is beat to death, but I am a new/anxious chicken mom, so asking anyway. 🥰

Do these girls look ready to move outside this weekend (about 3 days from now)? They will be 6 weeks old. I *think* they are fully feathered? Close-up picture of one on the cuddly ones is below so you can tell me if this is considered "fully feathered."

ACS_0297.JPG

They are standing still like this because a squirrel had just run by, and they were VERY confused by it. 😂 😂 😂

They have been spending most of the day out in the run for about 4 days and they really seem to be loving it. I am starting to feel bad when I have to bring them back in. Temps at night where we live are high 50's/low 60's. I have a radiant heating panel I could set up to give them a little extra heat temporarily at night?

Keeping them inside is also not a problem, I don't want to rush - I just want them to be happy.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice! ☺️

Close-up:
ACS_0298.JPG

I know this topic is beat to death, but I am a new/anxious chicken mom, so asking anyway. 🥰

Do these girls look ready to move outside this weekend (about 3 days from now)? They will be 6 weeks old. I *think* they are fully feathered? Close-up picture of one on the cuddly ones is below so you can tell me if this is considered "fully feathered."

View attachment 3141248

They are standing still like this because a squirrel had just run by, and they were VERY confused by it. 😂 😂 😂

They have been spending most of the day out in the run for about 4 days and they really seem to be loving it. I am starting to feel bad when I have to bring them back in. Temps at night where we live are high 50's/low 60's. I have a radiant heating panel I could set up to give them a little extra heat temporarily at night?

Keeping them inside is also not a problem, I don't want to rush - I just want them to be happy.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice! ☺️

Close-up:
View attachment 3141305
Yep, they are ready to go outside!

They're ready! Good feathering and they look comfy in their space.

I'd leave the heat panel somewhere they can get away from it if they want to. It's likely for your own peace of mind - but I get it - it's hard to send them out to the coop the first time! If you see they're not using it, you can turn it off and then take it out later. Do whatever seems right to make the transition easy for all of you. (all of you have got this!)

my 5 weekers moved out to the coop last week (already used to spending full 10-12 hour days outside for weeks) and we had a few nights in the 40s. they’re fine. many others here brood their chicks outdoors from the start. your chicks are ready! no need for heat.

Back
Top Bottom