Are they scared?

Duck_Newb

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2020
Had to go out today so I put on a black track jacket as it was slightly cool outside. I look over to my 2.5 week old ducklings to tell them to behave and such and I notice them gaping their bills, peeping/quacking and backed up against their makeshift pen. It's not hot in my room so I'm just wondering if they're just scared and dont recognize me with the jacket.

Maybe your jacket imitated a predator. Ducks in general don’t like to be approached from above. Especially not when you approach them quick.
Are your ducks living inside your room?

Welcome to BYC. IMO, 2.5 week old ducklings are to young to trust you or anyone or thing just yet in their little world, it's just their normal instinct to react that way. It will take time for them to become comfortable around you. :) Do you have any pics of your babies to post? We all like pics! :celebrate

Maybe your jacket imitated a predator. Ducks in general don’t like to be approached from above. Especially not when you approach them quick.
Are your ducks living inside your room?
Yeah, they're in my room at the moment. I was only about 3 or 4 feet away from them. Working on getting diapers so they can wander my room a bit more. And they don't seem to mind being picked up anymore as long as I hold them a certain way

Welcome to BYC. IMO, 2.5 week old ducklings are to young to trust you or anyone or thing just yet in their little world, it's just their normal instinct to react that way. It will take time for them to become comfortable around you. :) Do you have any pics of your babies to post? We all like pics! :celebrate
I'll try to get some pics, hopefully not blurred. And especially one without poop in it. They love dirtying their bedding especially a fresh one.

Here is the pic of my not so little ducklings. Sorry about their messy bills and fluff. They haven't had their bath for the day yet.

Attachments

• 20200702_131140.jpg
    20200702_131140.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 13
Mine are particularly fearful of a pink towel and an orange sweatshirt, other clothing doesn’t seem to bother them. I shook my orange sweatshirt out one morning when they were still inside in the brooder and I thought they were going to die! they freaked out and ran around like crazy finally settling in the far corner and looking at me in terror. same deal with the pink dog/duck towel we have, the others don't trouble them but that one being flapped around really wigs them out.

Back
Top Bottom