Are they smart enough to hide?

Zullo

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2018
Today while the guinea fowl were wandering the yard, I noticed a hawk circling above. Before long there were 4 of them. The guineas seemed totally unmoved by this danger while the rooster made haste into his coop.
My question is, are they smart enough to take cover? I actually shooed them into their coop (thank goodness they follow me) and locked them in. Will this need to be my continued practice? I was kind of hoping for a little of the rooster’s wise choice.
I already lost one. I would like to keep the rest since it is a small flock.

They might take cover after it's too late, you might want to build them some protection if you want to keep them free range.
They actually have plenty of places to take cover. I get the feeling the hawks need to be quite close before they realize the danger. They don’t appear to get be very bright birds.

Where and how were they raised? Guineas are less domesticated than a lot of other poultry, and they usually seem to be fairly sensible birds.
I got them at a day old and followed advice from others who had already done this. I am not seeing sensible at all. Although they do stick close around the property and for that I am grateful because I have heard they are wanderers. I can only hope this turns out well for them.

Back
Top Bottom