1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are They To Hot?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wildriverswolf90, Aug 8, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Hi my friend has 9 buff orps that are 8wks old she has them outside in a coop and run. She worried bout the heat, its been in the high 90 and humid. Is this to hot and how can she keep them cool?

2. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    Some things that i do, is set up large boards or something to give my chicks plenty of shade, and make shure they have plenty of water. I use more than one waterer in my run, just to make shure they have enough water.

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    X2 on what Kaitlyn said.

She needs to make sure that there is plenty of shade--preferably shade that lasts the whole day, like an overhanging tree or under the coop or shed. Make sure to offer plenty of cool, fresh water--maybe even with a few ice cubes in it! Offering cool treats like watermelon rinds can really help, too!

If worse comes to worse, a bit of artificial rain from the hose can do wonders [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by