Are this little guys wings weird?

SarahInAlaska

Songster
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
I picked up 4 week or two week old pullets right before Easter and saw the box of colored chicks and couldn't leave without a few. They all appeared to be the same age and I bought five. All the others have feathered out nicely and have gorgeous white wings surrounded by their remaining colored fuzz. All except this guy. I was told by a friend that she thinks its a bantam. It hasn't really gotten much bigger than it was when I got it. It was just about dead when I got it but has managed to survive up to this point. I noticed a few days ago that its wings look weird. With no other bantams except an adult hen I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but they just don't look right to me. Any ideas? And ideas what it is exactly? The lady said they were a bunch of different breeds in the box.

That's how my Cochin bantams wings started to feather out. I was also concerned it is also a very late bloomer compared to the other bantam breeds I have...All is well with her though! Good Luck!
PS: Since your chick was dyed, it will be tough to determine the breed until its feathered more :/ considering the small.size and feathered feet you can start with feather footed bantam breeds. My guess, Some type of Cochin :) Keep us posted!

That's how my Cochin bantams wings started to feather out. I was also concerned it is also a very late bloomer compared to the other bantam breeds I have...All is well with her though! Good Luck!
PS: Since your chick was dyed, it will be tough to determine the breed until its feathered more :/ considering the small.size and feathered feet you can start with feather footed bantam breeds. My guess, Some type of Cochin :) Keep us posted!
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

These are the others I got. Any idea what they are?
These guys were straight up colored when I got them

This guy was black and blue. I was told she ran out of light colored birds so took a darker breed and when she died them they came out black and whatever died color. I was told he is also a bantam by my friend. He's inbetween the bantam and the other chicks in size.

Why did they dye the chicks funny colors?

Am sorry I am no help figuring out what breed they are - they look adorable! I just can't figure out why they were dyed...

It
Why did they dye the chicks funny colors? 

Am sorry I am no help figuring out what breed they are - they look adorable!  I just can't figure out why they were dyed...
[/quot

It's illegal in a lot of states but not here. People normally dye them at Easter as gifts for children. It doesn't hurt them but it leads to a lot of "cute" gifts that are bought that kids lose interest in pretty quickly then the chickens are abandoned. I'm not a big fan of it, but they were there and I was building my flock do I chose to get some. It doesn't hurt them at all though. I'm not a fan of it because I see a lot of people impulse buy these cute chicks without any plan for future care and once the dye grows out and they get big people don't want them anymore. Not cool.

Back
Top Bottom