Are those saddle feathers?

AlineD

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Wyoming
I'm wondering if this chicken is a rooster? I think it's an Easter Egger (though it was labelled Araucana at the store), and thought it was a hen but I'm starting to wonder...it has no real comb yet, but are those saddle feathers? I'm not too familiar with rooster vs. hen anatomy yet. It also seems rather colorful for a hen, and it's the most skittish and cautious of our flock of eight. S/he is nine weeks old. Thanks!

Oh good! So...not saddle feathers, then. I suppose I need to look at more photos to determine what the saddle feathers look like, cuz hens don't get them, right? I wonder what color eggs she will lay.

Hopefully this will help a little. Your girl is 100% pullet.
(Picture from google)

I have a 13 week old EE/Buff Orp mix right now. (Tell-tell signs from the beginning, just waiting for him to crow.) I don't remember my three previous EE roos at 9 weeks, but baby boy started getting his daddy's gray tail feathers a couple weeks ago. If you have others that looked like it, compare pics of the same ages. Feathers come in earlier and bigger, and the comb will be much bigger. I had a "pullet" that turned out to be a boy, and he had a lot of markings. I think its a roo, but the girls have a lot of markings, too.

It also has feathers starting to cover wings, and the neck feathers look long with a stripe down the middle like my roos. Sorry if you want a hen; I hope I'm wrong if you do. It looks like pointed and long saddle feathers to me, judging from the pic the last person posted, but the chickens are two different breeds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos, Cyan Night. That is helpful. And that's what I was thinking, too, ChickDaze, and why I wondered if my chicken is a rooster. I think though, that maybe the saddle feathers are even longer and pointier on a rooster, maybe? I don't have others to compare her to- she's an EE, I think. I guess only time will tell for sure. If s/he does turn out to be a rooster, that will be okay, too.

Back
Top Bottom