Are Turkey Bones OK for Chickens?

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
I roasted a turkey a couple days ago and DH mentioned when he had a parrot, the parrot loved to peck at the leftover bones for the marrow.

We were wondering if it is ok for our chickens to have the larger bones from the turkey. I've checked the BYC treat chart and didn't see any mention of bones. If it is ok, do we need to split the bones so the girls can get to the marrow better or will they do that themselves? Is there any danger of them choking if we only give them the larger bones (like the leg or breast bone)?

Thanks.

Hello there. I have both parrots and chickens. So here are my thoughts....I think that while parrots have that hook bill and can really chew/grind things like wood and bones apart, chickens really can't chew. Little pieces of bones might not be so good for their crops. But I do think that chickens would probably enjoy picking the meat off of a carcass. And the protein would be good for them. As long as there won't be any bone splinters that they could eat by accident, if you split the big bones, they would probably pick them clean.

Thank you chicmom, I appreciate the response.

I give them everything, even a whole salmon I was given by someone whom I didn't trust (cleanliness) Just yesterday I was packaging rabbit that we butchered, I cooked all the bits and pieces on the bone that I don't package for a few hours and then fed it to my chickens today...bones and all... They absolutely LOVE stuff like that.

I give them everything, even a whole salmon I was given by someone whom I didn't trust (cleanliness) Just yesterday I was packaging rabbit that we butchered, I cooked all the bits and pieces on the bone that I don't package for a few hours and then fed it to my chickens today...bones and all... They absolutely LOVE stuff like that.

Hi AmericanMom,
We have meat rabbits too. What kind do you have? We have a pair of Californian and a pair of New Zealand. Both females just had littler for a total of 15 little ones. I don't mess with them much so it's not too hard to have them for dinner in about 8-9 weeks. I'll have to keep it in mind that the chickens might like them too.
Thanks for your response!

Hi AmericanMom,
We have meat rabbits too. What kind do you have? We have a pair of Californian and a pair of New Zealand. Both females just had littler for a total of 15 little ones. I don't mess with them much so it's not too hard to have them for dinner in about 8-9 weeks. I'll have to keep it in mind that the chickens might like them too.
Thanks for your response!

Good afternoon/evening!!

Our rabbits are kinda a mix, we have a Flemish male, a Flemish/Ca female and then we have a Ca/NZ male and Ca/Nz female..
We butchered at 3 months and it was big enough for just my husband and I, probably 2 pounds of meat?? And yes, whatever scraps we have from the table go to the chickens.. lol.. They will eat anything but lettuce around here.

Back
Top Bottom