Are turkeys trainable?

They are smart enough to train you to bring them food and water.

If you want to train them to stay off the car, you will have to shoo them the very second that their feet touch the car, and do it each and every time. If they roost there for awhile and then get shooed, the shooing away won't get linked in their minds with touching the car.

You have to teach them that they are wasting their time because they won't get to remain there for even 1 second.

Is there anything you could hang something from that they can't perch on that you could park the truck under? In their pens, when I don't want them perching on stuff, hang a plastic gallon jug, or several tied together over the thing they might want to perch on (water bucket for example) hang a few garbage bags full of leaves from a thin line or wire strung between two trees, and park under that? Not permanent, just until they find their place. I think they are creatures of habit, and once they find good perching places they will lay off the vehicle and you can take down the scarecrow stuff.

Wow! Great pics. We have 7 heritage turkeys, 2 blck spanish, 2 naggarasett, and 3 eastern wild. They haven't roosted on our vehicles....yet.
fl.gif
I hope they don't or my wife will have thanksgiving early!!

Back
Top Bottom