Are we BLRW

Granny Hoffman

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
SE Michigan
We are 4-1/2 weeks old and we are not sure of our breed and sex. Any help would be appreciated

Judy

63578_dsc02751.jpg

63578_dsc02753.jpg

63578_dsc02757.jpg

My guess is that the first chick is a "black" laced red rooster. 2nd picture splash pullet and 3rd picture a splash rooster because of some solid red feathers on the shoulders. Good news is that if you breed your black laced red rooster to your splash pullet you will get 100% blue chicks.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Could you enlighten me on how to tell if they are pullets or roosters?

The comb coloring on the first one is RED!!! At that early deffinately a rooster cant really tell the other ones from the photos

I am looking at the combs, the head types and body language. Your black laced red chicks comb is turning red and he has a more upright stance. The pullets show better lacing than the roosters at an early age. Note the barring and some solid shoulder feathers on the rooster chicks. The eyes of the rooster chicks are rounder and have a surprised expression, where as, notice how the pullet has a softer look to the eyes and keeps her head lower. The roosters stand up and are the look outs for the flock. I also see wattles developing on the two roosters. Usually the roosters legs are thicker.

I always keep pictures of each hatch of chicks to refer back to. After a few times you learn what to look for.
wink.png

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Could you enlighten me on how to tell if they are pullets or roosters?

Back
Top Bottom