Are wild turkeys this tame?

kcan2

Free Ranging
Oct 18, 2019
MI
A random turkey hen arrived during spring yardwork today, and I'm confused. So far, she has eaten out of my hand, stood around despite running chainsaws, took a nap in the woods, and is currently taking a dust bath in the flower bed. She chirps a lot. I'm not familiar with turkeys, but this seems like really tame behavior to me. We have 10 acres and few neighbors.

Also, she has a couple of wing feathers that are turned funny as pictured, and her underbelly seems to be mostly unfeathered.

Not sure what to do with her, or if turkey hens are normally alone like this in spring, but she is certainly a friendly visitor. Do you think she is healthy, and will she wander back away on her own? Is she old? Does she need help? Why so tame?
20210320_153937.jpg
20210320_153806.jpg

A random turkey hen arrived during spring yardwork today, and I'm confused. So far, she has eaten out of my hand, stood around despite running chainsaws, took a nap in the woods, and is currently taking a dust bath in the flower bed. She chirps a lot. I'm not familiar with turkeys, but this seems like really tame behavior to me. We have 10 acres and few neighbors.

Also, she has a couple of wing feathers that are turned funny as pictured, and her underbelly seems to be mostly unfeathered.

Not sure what to do with her, or if turkey hens are normally alone like this in spring, but she is certainly a friendly visitor. Do you think she is healthy, and will she wander back away on her own? Is she old? Does she need help? Why so tame?
View attachment 2577870
View attachment 2577876
Not likely a wild turkey. Probably someone's Bronze hen that has wondered off. The plucked underbelly indicates that she may have been broody and lost her nest to a predator.

Not likely a wild turkey. Probably someone's Bronze hen that has wondered off. The plucked underbelly indicates that she may have been broody and lost her nest to a predator.
Thank you!
Any idea how far they might end up from home in this situation? Thinking about asking some neighbors since she is such a sweet girl, someone must be missing her.

As a domestic turkey, is she safe out there by herself? It is dusk and she is still forlornly wandering around the back porch like she has nowhere to go. 😩

Her feet look really big, can you tell how far apart her legs are? She might be a broad breasted, which if she is, it's not safe since they are unable to fly into trees at night. Is she missing a toe too? Poor thing.

Shes awful cute, though.

Her feet look really big, can you tell how far apart her legs are? She might be a broad breasted, which if she is, it's not safe since they are unable to fly into trees at night. Is she missing a toe too? Poor thing.

Shes awful cute, though.
Her legs do seem really far apart. She had a slow, ambling gait and didn't seem very athletic like the wild turkeys I've seen. I followed her down the road until it was too dark to see. I think she laid down under some bushes, which is not ideal but I suppose she has made it this far on her own. Poor girl, not sure what to do about her.

Yes she is BBB, and will prob not make it through the night.
Yikes, I may be outside fumbling with a flashlight in some juniper bushes in a min. 😩 😩
I'm really wondering how I would ever begin to find the original owners, since we can't keep her. Surely she didn't come from too far away. Seems very odd.

Back
Top Bottom