Are wooden feeders bad?

Quote:
I use a small pig feeder attached to the wall inside the coop. I have it on screws and can remove it for washing. It works great but then I only have 4 girls.

Quote:
Yes, it holds 12 lbs of feed. I was actually wanting to try one of the small pig feeders, but needed something in a hurry and Atwoods only had the hanging feeder.

No, wooden feeders are not bad. Here are pics of mine. I keep mine in the chicken yard and they are kept filled with feed 24/7. I remove them from the chicken yard and place them under the 2 ft raised coop when I know it will rain. There is no mold, no rot, no mildew. We made them from recycled pallets. One is 4 ft long and the other is 5 ft long. A 5 gallon bucket of feet is what the 4 ft long feeder will hold. A little more in the 5 ft long feeder. They are very durable. The chickens CANNOT flip them over and they do not roost on top.

6612_feeders.jpg

6612_all_eating.jpg

6612_animals_feeding.jpg

Here is a good one for ya-

On Labor Day I had stayed the night before with a chicken freind. Before his 6 YO identical twin terrorist boys woke up and decided it would be fun to run and jump on me in bed I had the chance to watch a little TV.

I was just channel jumping and ran across a knockoff "Antiques Road Show". When I saw an old wooden trough feeder I stopped clicking. The feeder was 3-4 feet long and looked like maybe the trough was 4" deep and 6" wide with a nice lip around the sides to prevent feed waste. It looked a lot like the ones my grandparents used as "grower" feeders in the range houses for the pullets. It had the traditional four slat roller above the trough to prevent birds from getting into it or perching on it. Looked like a nice old piece.

The antique appraiser dated it to be pre 1910 or so because it was made with cut nails. The grain of the wood looked like oak or maybe chesnut to me.

The appraiser looked the part; balding, worn sweater, bowtie and glasses that could have been called spectacles. He confidently proclamed the item to be a fishing line dryer for the fragile silk lines of those days. Seems as though such things did exist to dry the line before storage. I eBayed "fisihing line dryer" and could see the resemblence.

But this was definitely a poultry feeder. The appraiser was at a loss as to why the builder went to all the trouble to build such a nice trough under the reel and why it was so long. He appraised it at a value of $200->225.00

Wonder what it is worth as a chicken feeder.

Quote:
First off, let me say
lau.gif
@
6 YO identical twin terrorist boys

Secondly, how cool is that to have such an antique chicken feeder. I would have loved to see that. Thanks for sharing that information.​

Back
Top Bottom