Are you a Roo?

LostLakeChicks

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Hi! I have a small flock and 8 were hatched Feb 16. I don't recall ordering a straight run on any but I am also quite sure I have at least 4 roosters. 50% is a pretty bad ratio. My concern is with the cuckoo Maran's and the welsummers. Bad enough that 2 didn't make it to their first month but I also didn't order a straight run. So no more buying from this source

Can y'all tell if my remaining 2 welsummers are Roos? The cuckoo marans are at least easy enough to tell apart and I'm giving them a little more time to become BBQ.

My town will not allow Roosters so they will either get re homed or eaten!

Thanks for the info!

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
Hi! I have a small flock and 8 were hatched Feb 16. I don't recall ordering a straight run on any but I am also quite sure I have at least 4 roosters. 50% is a pretty bad ratio. My concern is with the cuckoo Maran's and the welsummers. Bad enough that 2 didn't make it to their first month but I also didn't order a straight run. So no more buying from this source

Can y'all tell if my remaining 2 welsummers are Roos? The cuckoo marans are at least easy enough to tell apart and I'm giving them a little more time to become BBQ.

My town will not allow Roosters so they will either get re homed or eaten!

Thanks for the info!
I would say the one standing behind the other is most def a rooster...but I am no expert for sure.. Maybe some better pictures, top, close up side and front..

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Welsummers are definitely roos....black chest feathers and large comb and wattles tell the tale.

Here's a pic of my pair of Wellies at 7&8 weeks:

Chickeneedy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
West Virginia
My welsummers hatched out Feb. 2nd. Their combs and wattles are not nearly so defined as your's are which makes be believe they are cockerels. Also the tail feathers indicate cockerels.

LostLakeChicks

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Welsummers are definitely roos....black chest feathers and large comb and wattles tell the tale. Here's a pic of my pair of Wellies at 7&8 weeks:
Aww crap. Yeah, they look nothing like your hen. Well, more BBQ for us. Thanks.

Top Bottom