Are you kidding me?!?!

20307_d20.jpg

Think of it this way-
You breed a blue roo to a mutt BBS hen. What is the probability that you will get a blue hen? (Or something like that... just translate it to chicken speak!)

big_smile.png

My statistics professor used flipping coins and the number of blue M & Ms in a selection of the little 2 ounce bags distributed to all of the class members. The dice rolling thing is just a means to an end.

It's all for them to make more money. I certainly did not need fitness walking, weight training, art history, or the history of Brazil for my comp sci degree.

It was supposedly to make me 'well rounded' but I think whether or not I want to be well-rounded is my own decision and it's all just a way to require more classes and get more money.

Quote:
That's so sad. I am SO sorry you feel that way. I long for the days when the point of college was simply to learn and learn as much as possible. To learn critical thinking and to encourage intellectual exploration. To offer the possibility to be exposed to as many different areas of thinking as you could.

Now all anyone wants is the minimum needed things to get the degree to get the job. Trust me I DO understand the money and time involved, and I do get it. But, I wish it were different and education was valued for the process more than the paper.

When you're going to college at night after working 2 jobs, paying out of your own pocket, trying to get a better job, taking classes that are neither interesting nor relevant doesn't make you well-rounded. Having debt for classes that you absolutely did not need is frustrating. I'm still paying for irrelevant extra classes led by dreadful instructors who knew they were teaching a filler class and treated it as such. Perhaps I would be less bitter if the classes had been well-taught.

I found it insulting that the college system thought they needed to force me to be well-rounded by requiring me to take such useless classes. And frankly, I do not believe the purpose of them is for student enrichment, I think it is financial. I read constantly, do all manner of volunteerism and other activities, and travel whenever I can. Assuming that everyone who comes through the door is so empty-heaed and ambitionless that they need to take required classes to be well-rounded is near insulting.

I'm in a relatively prestigious private graduate school now and it is better. I'm in a focused program that allows me to pick and choose from courses relevant to my area of study. And I'm free to enrich myself as I see fit.

I think colleges have moved far away from the goal of creating critical thinkers and with the exception of some of the better private colleges, are really in it for the money.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom