Are you kidding me?!?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MoodyChicken, May 18, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    My math class, college allgebra, is an online course. I'm trying to finish up the work so I can take the test tomorrow, and one of the "objectives," as the program calls them, is "die rolling." Are you kidding me? I had to freakin pay to learn the probability of die rolling? WHAT?!? That's a load of bull. When in my life will I EVER use this math??? I'm going to be a vet... I never plan on rolling animals around only to guess whether they land on their heads or their tails. Nor will I ever let something rely on chance. This is rediculous. The morons that created this program need to be shot.

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Sometimes college isn't about practical application, it is about being tenacious enough to get through it. You can do it. Make up some stupid dice results and get-r-done. Good luck.

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Dont like probability, eh? It's not chance, it's probability. As a vet, I would hope you understand the basic concept of the probability of outcomes on a risky new technique before you try it out on MY dog.

4. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I know your frustration, sometimes they just waste your time to get curriculum made...

are you taking an online vet course? I've been looking all over to find one..

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Think of it this way:

You are learning probability and odds when you are doing the dice objective. Think of it as the probability of an animal likely to recover from an injury/surgery or an animal likely to catch another disease.

6. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:that's a little far fetched. A new treatment will come with studies and such for the vet to relay to the people, and honestly who doesn't understand probability, this is 4th grade stuff and she has to pay to take this course.

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    use that dice probabilty to figure what you`re going to get when you throw 6 different kinds of chickens together.

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Study up, and when you graduate hit the craps tables! [​IMG]

9. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    haha! oh wowww. i wish all college classes would be that easy! i learned about probablity in like 3rd grade, but every year they act like its something new and special. its not. its always the same.

10. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I understand the idea of probability and an animal surviving something, etc etc. But I just feel kinda stupid answering something like this after doing some complex matrix or functions or something. "You roll a dice 4 times, what are the chances you'll get a 3?" It's just like... couldn't you name it something better and less... childish? I didn't pay for sugarcoated math, I paid to learn. And the probability of survival is a little different than dice. I guess I'm just a little shocked that they threw it in there. After reading all these terms that still baffle me... they throw in dice. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by