Are you kidding me?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laughingllama75, Jan 11, 2012.

1. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    My little Serama pullet decided to lay her first egg about 3 days after Christmas. I was SO THRILLED.....it was like Christmas for a chicken-o-holic. Well now.....so I have gotten about 12 eggs from her. All good right? NO! Yesterday, I notice she is in the nestbox all day. All night. This morning. I shooed her from the nest this morning and she is in full clucky, fluffed up, mad, sitting hen mode. Oh, come on! I thought my silkies were broody. But jeez. [​IMG] Anyone else have a pullet/hen go this broody, this quickly?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm curious - were you collecting the eggs daily or letting several sit?? That little gal of yours works fast! I take it the eggs aren't fertilized?

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Well, I haven't had it happen to me, but I have seen one broody that hadn't even layed an egg yet. It was a silkie though [​IMG]

4. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Collecting them. ANd yep, they ARE fertilized. She is in with another pullet (not laying yet) and and the tiniest silkied cockerel. Oh my Lord are they cute. Every one of the eggs I checked, had a little bullseye. I guess I should have put them in the bator. I didnt, as I dont want housechickens for the rest of the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by