Are you Peking kidding me?

Guernsy

Songster
Jun 5, 2020
Our ducks drive me crazy too, but they are so cute and entertaining. Don't eat them yet. Ducks are supposed to be smart. Do you give them duck food or veggies (which I think are considered treats)?
If you have a container with duck food out, it is up to them to eat it or not. They might also need some shelter and a house to sleep in, a cozy nest area. It will be more work since they poop a lot and it would have to be cleaned more often than chickens. However, I have the feeling that my ducks are on some sort of schedule now. They now when it is time to go to bed (around 7:45 they walk to their coop on there own). In the morning around 7 am they want to come out and will quack and annoy the neighbors.
If the chickens are separated from the ducks, I think they are ok. The two chickens don't need to run along the fence, lol.

I would wait a little longer before you decide to eat them or give them away. They might settle. As I said, our ducks are a pain, but we truly enjoy them and their eggs are yummy.

TJAnonymous

Songster
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
do they have a coop atleast? if they are on the pond all day that explains why they aren’t friendly and aren’t used to eating the food you give them. if raised right, they are super friendly and sweet. mine go on adventures with harnesses, come inside to cuddle, and more
They are not in a coop. We raised them together with 6 Ameraucana chicks. When they got old enough, we put the chicks in the chicken yard with our older chickens. The ducks went out to the pond which they LOVED. In the past 1-2 months, the ducks started spending most of their time hanging out around the chicken yard. I've tried to get them to go inside...thinking they could nest in the coop. They clearly want the companionship of the chickens. But the ONE time I actually got them in the chicken yard, they freaked out and were going crazy so I let them out. Now they don't go inside but stay out by the fence. In a way, this has been a blessing to the 2 poor chickens who are the target of duck vengeance.

I *have* thought that when winter comes, I will have to figure out how to either get them inside the chicken yard or cull them. They clearly can't spend the winter on the pond even though I do have a duck house out there with straw that they won't use or go inside. Dumb ducks....

Duck mommy 2019

Crowing
Apr 1, 2019
They are not in a coop. We raised them together with 6 Ameraucana chicks. When they got old enough, we put the chicks in the chicken yard with our older chickens. The ducks went out to the pond which they LOVED. In the past 1-2 months, the ducks started spending most of their time hanging out around the chicken yard. I've tried to get them to go inside...thinking they could nest in the coop. They clearly want the companionship of the chickens. But the ONE time I actually got them in the chicken yard, they freaked out and were going crazy so I let them out. Now they don't go inside but stay out by the fence. In a way, this has been a blessing to the 2 poor chickens who are the target of duck vengeance.

I *have* thought that when winter comes, I will have to figure out how to either get them inside the chicken yard or cull them. They clearly can't spend the winter on the pond even though I do have a duck house out there with straw that they won't use or go inside. Dumb ducks....
ducks definitely aren’t dumb. mine know many tricks. you need to stick to a routine with them especially for bed. mine took like two weeks to get used to it, but they follow me inside every night for bed now.

TJAnonymous

Songster
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
ducks definitely aren’t dumb. mine know many tricks. you need to stick to a routine with them especially for bed. mine took like two weeks to get used to it, but they follow me inside every night for bed now.
I'm not sure how I would get them "to bed." They will not allow anyone within 10 feet of them. If you try to get close, they will head for the pond which is where they stay at night. I have a big utility pole right next to my driveway which shines a lot of light on the pond at night so they can easily see any potential predators. I guess they feel safe in or around the pond at night. My concern is that an owl will get them because they stick out like a sore thumb. Of course, I'm new to ducks so I don't even know if owls are a duck predator or if the ducks are too big for that kind of threat?

As for some kind of winter containment, I figured I could find some way to "lead" them into the chicken yard with treats or something. AT least that is what I HOPE to do....but as I said, they are dumb and don't investigate anything you try to give them. They run from it. When they were still babies, I kept them (and the chicks) in a horse stall. I had a baby pool in there for them to play and swim (not drink, yuck...). If the water was clean, I'd throw them some kale. They seemed to LOVE that.... I've also given them kale out on the pond. But away from the water, they won't eat anything I try to give them.

Top Bottom