Are you Peking kidding me?

Well, my husband is going to cull and smoke the Pekin drake this weekend that we just bought.... That leaves my existing Pekin (whom some are saying might not really be a male) and the Silver Appleyard drake. I know I shouldn't be so attached but it makes me really sad to have to choose between them... My husband would rather eat them. Our horse trainer has offered to take one of the males, if I choose to part with one. While both are realistic options, they leave me feeling bummed out. I wish there was a way for them to cohabitate peacefully... Just don't know what to do.... And this all started because the Pekin female won't quit chasing and attacking two of my chickens! 😒
I understand. It stinks! I love my drakes. But they are a pita sometimes. I hope you can get it sorted and can enjoy having them. Ducks are hilarious and make me smile every day. 😍

I think that this is a misunderstanding-all people involved are trying to help and misinterpreting the other people's responses, which leads to confusion. IMHO it would be a good idea to drop this and focus on helping the OP with his/her ducks.
Blocking people works like a charm. AB whatever doesn’t like “rudeness” yet she obsessively private messaged me over and over again, trying to hide her crazy from the moderators.
The whole situation is actually quite funny. I’ve never blocked anyone from anything ever before in my life... didn’t think I was going to start on backyard chickens!!!!! Too funny.

Blocking people works like a charm. AB whatever doesn’t like “rudeness” yet she obsessively private messaged me over and over again, trying to hide her crazy from the moderators.
The whole situation is actually quite funny. I’ve never blocked anyone from anything ever before in my life... didn’t think I was going to start on backyard chickens!!!!! Too funny.
If you're having trouble with someone I think it's best you report it to the moderators, not here. This is a thread for someone trying to get help and all of what's going on here is starting to get out of hand and not even related to the thread.
Have a good one.

If you're having trouble with someone I think it's best you report it to the moderators, not here. This is a thread for someone trying to get help and all of what's going on here is starting to get out of hand and not even related to the thread.
Have a good one.
I did exactly that... can’t see her threads / responses anymore. It’s great.

The new recruits spent approx 30-45 minutes in the pen last night before it got dark. My husband, daughter, and I went out and caught them and manually put them in their new coop for the night. This morning, I opened the duck door to the ramp at about 7 AM. By 9 AM, I noticed that none of the ducks had left the coop... Not sure if they understand the duck door yet, so I went back out and opened the big side (read: people) door to the coop and propped it open. It's now been 3 hrs and they STILL haven't come out of the coop. I thought for sure either thirst or hunger would drive them to explore.... At what point should I make them leave the coop? Or should I let them come out on their own time frame?

There is probably something that's scaring them. I would probably push them out if you don't see anything that would terrify them that much. If they are completely refusing leave them be. If they don't come out and only freak out when you try to make them come out put some food and water in there. Is there a hawk or something?

I am watching the coop from inside the house so they can't see me. I can see them looking outside occasionally from the big door and the duck door but then they disappear back inside the coop. There isn't a hawk or anything like that around.... My chicken yard aligns on one side to the pen they are in. Chickens are out and acting normal. My two existing ducks are also out and quacking up a storm. I thought maybe they would hear my ducks and come out to investigate, but that hasn't happened yet. I will give them another hour and then maybe try to entice them out with some treats. I don't really want to force them because I feel like that would work against me from a trust perspective in the long run.

not all animals are for everyone and its OK if you don't like ducks you could try to rehome them on craigslist for free or a small fee like 5$ someone would probably like a few more ducks

I'm not sure what your comments here are in regards to? What gave you the opinion that I don't like ducks or wanted to get rid of them? I think you misunderstood the thread....

Back
Top Bottom