are your dogs and chicken friends

My dog runs from my hens.
gig.gif
My new chicks chase her around. (They think she will give them food)
pop.gif

My one dog (collie mix) is obsessed with the 3 week old chicks. Kinda interested in the 8 week olds. My other dog ( shephard mix) is terrified. The mallard Artie "tasted" her once and she Is terrified. I don't know how they will all be outside once we get some warmth here. Will be interesting to say the least. Now my 3 year old cat, couldn't care less.

I have three huskies...NONE of which are chicken friendly... I do not let them anywhere near the chickens because I know it would end up bad. Huskies have unique personalities. Mine are harmless, however they seem to think that the chickens are toys, not friends...so the two don't mix.

Not all dogs can be trained to not harm chickens. Plus, not many want to risk it. I only have 6, so am not willing to risk any during this "training" period. So mine will have to see the chickens through the fence.
Thanks! I have 7 and they are my very first flock. I don't think I am going to risk losing one if i know my dog will go after them. :)

Thanks! I have 7 and they are my very first flock. I don't think I am going to risk losing one if i know my dog will go after them. :)

Well, that's how I feel. My 2 minipins would surely kill them, and the blue heeler is a large pup, that has taken to killing ground hogs. So, even though the ground hog thing is good, I won't trust her with chickens.

I got my dog used to chicken with chicks...I can leave her outside with them all day now and not worry. Worth all the time I spent training her
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom