are your dogs and chicken friends

I was wondering if the size of the growing chicks would help with my mini -dachsund, who is always on a long leash. It does help now that they are 7-8 weeks old. One stood up to her and pecked her twice on the nose! She backed off a bit right away! But I still wouldn't trust her completely. They will end up being bigger than her. But they seem to think it is totally safe to just walk right up behind her and aren't at all wary of her.

Well one of my dogs is Bella a 14 year old rottweiller cross is nicknamed dishlex (a brand of dishwasher) and im still recovering from getting caught up in the wire in effort to save one of our chickens from her jaws,(hen is ok just a bruise on her wing)but our Sooky,when I'm in the chicken yard he sits by the fence and and watches and when the Chickens come near him he whines and I dont know weather he smells them and thinks they smell tasty or he just wants them to pat him hes a lovely cuddly boy (Bella is his mum ,his dad was a german shepherd)has cancer in his leg,but is still chasing native birds out of our place and tries to scare away the cows on the other side of the fence so I cant trust Bella and Sooky as they are both big enough to suck a chicken down in one mouthful. Im sure if I muzzled them they would be great body guards for the chickens but I think muzzles are torturous.

Well one of my dogs is Bella a 14 year old rottweiller cross is nicknamed dishlex (a brand of dishwasher) and im still recovering from getting caught up in the wire in effort to save one of our chickens from her jaws,(hen is ok just a bruise on her wing)but our Sooky,when I'm in the chicken yard he sits by the fence and and watches and when the Chickens come near him he whines and I dont know weather he smells them and thinks they smell tasty or he just wants them to pat him hes a lovely cuddly boy (Bella is his mum ,his dad was a german shepherd)has cancer in his leg,but is still chasing native birds out of our place and tries to scare away the cows on the other side of the fence so I cant trust Bella and Sooky as they are both big enough to suck a chicken down in one mouthful. Im sure if I muzzled them they would be great body guards for the chickens but I think muzzles are torturous.
A basket muzzle would be fine
smile.png
But i'd be afraid they would smoosh them trying to get at them.

I have 2 dogs... one who is a jackawa (chiwawa/ jack Russel) is kinda scared / timid around my 7 baby chicks!!! And the other dog a pugle is CRAZY around them, she's always trying to sniff them and occasionally make one of them fall.

My dog just loves our chickens and the chickens love her too the chickens also run when they see an other dog but when mine's around they are happy chappies:)
she is also very protective over them and bark like crazy when a chicken is being attacked.

My dog's name is kayla

My Diamond continues to impress us with her dilligence in looking after the chickens. When we were doing yardwork while the little feathered vermin were out and about.. we heard one of them cry out in alarm (I'm fairly certain that the silly thing was simply frightened by her own shadow). Yet, Diamond ran over and was looking at and around the chicken to make sure nothing had or was threatening it.

Later, when I was giving Diamond her "pay" (she insists on being given treats before she'll watch the chickens.) One of the australorps walked right up and took the treat (dried apple) out of Diamond's mouth before running off with it. I ended up chasing her and getting the treat back and having to guard Diamond from the apparently marauding chickens. I'm so glad that we can trust her unsupervised with the birds.. it makes things so much easier!

My old hound dog baily tried to pick up a chick in his mouth. He is 13 and never been around chickens before. He is part pointer so i guess its natural. My dane dont mind the birds. But my other 5 working german shepherds have too much of a prey drive so i have to be careful

never mind... when i said my dog was scared/timid around my 7 chicks, i was wrong later that day i found out that he wants to eat chicken when he opened his mouth above my littlest chick.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom