Are your eggs dirty?

Kangasox

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2015
My eggs are consistently dirty. I'm trying to keep them unwashed until we use them, but putting them in the refrigerator like this kinds of grosses me out. The ducks have a large coop. We use deep litter, and they have a nest box and another area they like to lay where I try to keep fresh bedding. But...ducks. they always switch up their spots too. Are duck eggs just dirty??

Mine are much dirtier than chicken eggs. The ducks will lay in the nest, but they also sleep in there too, so poop it up.
They did lay for about a week where nobody pooped in the nest at all, so I had clean eggs - that was nice

Instead of washing, just use a light brush and brush off some of the dried poop before putting them in the fridge.

I use the scrubby side of a dry sponge to brush off the gross bits. it works pretty well. It took me about a month to get used to it - we have only had grocery store eggs here before ducks - but now I don't even notice. It's just part of duck eggs! I even sell them unwashed to a Vietnamese family. They didn't want me to wash them first, they were expecting them to be dirty.

fun fact if the eggs come out dirty your ducks have a high chance of worms so just look out for that
big_smile.png

That is not a fun fact at all
sad.png

But very informative
tongue.png

I didn't know that! I just have clumsy dirty feet walking over mine. I am in the process of trying to nest train them though
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom