Are your guineas laying yet?

I’ve been searching for a nest but now that my neighbors have been feeding them and they go all over I feel hopeless. I even asked my neighbor if I could search their property and nothing. We also live next to a state forestry that they visit there’s no way I’d be able to find it there. I did find 2 random guinea eggs in the woods though but no telling how old they are! I tried to lock them up in their night pen for a day and a half and put a Rubbermaid tote on its side with hay in it hoping but no luck. If I keep them lock up for a few more days will they lay?!?! Can they just NOT lay for days? I’m down to 12 guineas and I know I have several females but I’d like to get back closer to 20. I’ve already pulled 8 ticks off the dog.

It might be a little harder at the beginning on the laying season to find any nests. I found it easier to let them out late and watch the girls. You’ll see them scurry off with their man in tow. Then you’ll see him stand guard while she’s out of sight laying her egg or sitting on a nest of eggs.
The male standing guard is always the biggest give away.

So far I’ve gotten lucky finding their nest. My only turkey hen disappeared for hours. I had my whole family looking for her. We were just about to give up and accept that something or someone had to have taken her😞 I was so bummed out and ticked off.
As I was walking out of the trees and brush on the back part of the property I saw my girl laying next to a big rock under some branches!
I was so relieved I nearly cried☺️
She made a nest and laid her second egg of the year. After that five guineas decided they would lay their eggs there too. And I’ve been finding eggs there since then.
Im glad because I would otherwise never look there for a nest. My guineas have always chosen tall grass over woods for making nests.

Found my first egg this morning! Makes sense now why the male guinea has taken to attacking all the geese. Unfortunately because of the relentless attacks the guineas will have to be kept in their run during the laying season.

Attachments

• 71F62CCE-845F-4E74-9CAB-B426919D3675.jpeg
    71F62CCE-845F-4E74-9CAB-B426919D3675.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 3
It might be a little harder at the beginning on the laying season to find any nests. I found it easier to let them out late and watch the girls. You’ll see them scurry off with their man in tow. Then you’ll see him stand guard while she’s out of sight laying her egg or sitting on a nest of eggs.
The male standing guard is always the biggest give away.

So far I’ve gotten lucky finding their nest. My only turkey hen disappeared for hours. I had my whole family looking for her. We were just about to give up and accept that something or someone had to have taken her😞 I was so bummed out and ticked off.
As I was walking out of the trees and brush on the back part of the property I saw my girl laying next to a big rock under some branches!
I was so relieved I nearly cried☺️
She made a nest and laid her second egg of the year. After that five guineas decided they would lay their eggs there too. And I’ve been finding eggs there since then.
Im glad because I would otherwise never look there for a nest. My guineas have always chosen tall grass over woods for making nests.
Yes, I do that too! I’ll let half out in the morning (so the coop isn’t so crowded since I still haven’t built my run!) then watch after letting the rest out at about 1 PM. If I’m lucky, the hens will scurry over to their hidden nests.

My guineas have always chosen tall grass over woods for making nests.
Last year mine chose the bush honeysuckle and briars, this year some have been laying in the coop and I thought it was done by my older birds. I was wrong, they chose a hollowed out trunk of an old apple tree. I think guineas adapt to their environment.

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_154732368.jpg
    IMG_20210423_154732368.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210423_155110617.jpg
    IMG_20210423_155110617.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210423_152411855.jpg
    IMG_20210423_152411855.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 3
Last year mine chose the bush honeysuckle and briars, this year some have been laying in the coop and I thought it was done by my older birds. I was wrong, they chose a hollowed out trunk of an old apple tree. I think guineas adapt to their environment.
Haha, cute! I keep checking our hollow tree trunks but so far they haven’t laid any there. Just random dropped eggs in the taller grass and using the turkey nest. I have 28 ready for the incubator. Of my first eggs added only 7 look to be fertile. And my one turkey egg..... yep. I’m the genius that thought my turkey would give me an egg a day allowing me to add a few daily. Didn’t work that way. Thank goodness I have some poults coming to keep my lone one company if the hatch goes well.

Back
Top Bottom