Are your guineas still laying?

Now here are most of you all hoping that your guineas have
quit laying and here I am in southeast Louisiana running
myself crazy trying to find guinea eggs to hatch with no luck at all.

Quote:
Yeah, I did look on ebay the other night for some. I saw someone that had I think Pearl, white,
and lavender, but was just leary about doing the ebay thing. Going to make a call to a place in Texas and
hope they are still getting eggs and if not guess I will just wait until next spring. I had plenty
of guineas but some of the people that I sell chickens to saw my guineas and bought all but 3,
and that was only because I would not let them have them. So I have a royal purple, and pearl
female and a pearl male about 12 weeks old so I will have a good wait before getting eggs
from them.

Quote:
I think most of us are just tired of the 'find the nest' game! LOL I was actually hoping my spring hatches would start laying so I could get some more colors. My adults are all pearl, but I hatched Lavender and pied this year.

I found eggs and plenty of them. I called a lady that I bought eggs from earlier this year last night
and she is setting me up pretty good. 3 guinea hens sitting on 3 nest of eggs and she is giving all
those keets to me. She also has 3 nest that her guinea hens are laying in and I am getting those
eggs also. She is not set up to handle chicks in the colder parts of the year and told me just to come
pick them up and I could have them.
She has pearl, royal purples and lavenders. The ones that were supposed to be lavender really
look more like the opaline color. I had gotten 41 eggs from her in May and 38 of them hatched.
I had gotten the eggs hoping to get some royal purples and out of the 38 I had 1 royal purple.
I think I should have a little better chance to get some royal purples out of the number of
eggs I am getting.

Quote:
I think most of us are just tired of the 'find the nest' game! LOL I was actually hoping my spring hatches would start laying so I could get some more colors. My adults are all pearl, but I hatched Lavender and pied this year.

Ya know some of my spring hatches just started to lay and for some reason almost all the eggs are half the size they should be and i even tried to hatch some and they were not fertile.

I found a nest the other day that was so full they were rolling down the hill they were on
ep.gif

I agree with chickenguru. I have tried following my guineas, and nothing seems to work. They have to have a nest somewhere and I can't find it. All year I hatched out ONE guinea.
I hate to buy guinea eggs because my incubator is worth 5 cents(styrofoam still air) and I don't have an egg turner ):

A couple of days ago we found the nest. There were 11 eggs. Last night she decided it was time to sit. There were still 11 eggs when we kicked her off because we don't want her getting eaten as she's the only female left. I guess that's the end of the season?
idunno.gif
I think she was laying an egg a day all Summer.

Mine seem to have stopped. Which is good, because somehow between the two guinea hens I have they seem to lay up a storm!
th.gif
And I already get more chicken eggs than I can eat so I never know what to do with the guinea eggs. (And no, I'm not going to hatch them all--three guinea fowl is more than enough!)

Back
Top Bottom