Are Your Hens Setting On Eggs Yet? 2012 POULT FORECAST

We have two Royal Palms and two Bourbon Reds setting. Every one else is still putting out well. We are still putting between 60 and 80 eggs in the incubator.

My 2 BR hens finally went broody after laying a total of about 40 eggs between them- I have the first 12 in the incubator due in a few weeks, and they have about 25 in a nest they are sharing, due mid May. I also ordered 20 poults as an insurance policy- so we may be overrun if they all survive!

I have 10 mos old Heritage Auburns and Silvers. We've only hatched out 4 so far. Several of my chickens are broody so we just stuffed the turkey eggs up under them! They hatched fine! We have about 8 more up under them now due in about 2 weeks! We are very excited to get turkeys this year and already have lots of ppl facebook-ing me and calling to get some eggs or poults! I'm not sure I want to let too many go tho, they are so fun! :) We hope to have a nice flock by the end of summer this year!

well the eggs in the incubator did not make it. had one explode on me. temps got too high 106 and humidty didn't want to cooperate. It was 5 days past hatch date so when candled them saw nothing but blobs. Since everything went wrong that could. daughter wanted to open the rest to see what it looked like inside. did that and found 2 made it to good size but quit. the rest were not fully developed at all.

Still have eggs outside with birds sitting them. The tom is sitting on 11 eggs and the girls have 12 under them. The girls decided to put their nest right in front of the door of the pen.

hopefully the eggs will hatch for me.

well the eggs in the incubator did not make it.  had one explode on me.  temps got too high 106 and humidty didn't want to cooperate. It was 5 days past hatch date so when candled them saw nothing but blobs.  Since everything went wrong that could.  daughter wanted to open the rest to see what it looked like inside.  did that and found 2 made it to good size but quit.  the rest were not fully developed at all. 

Still have eggs outside with birds sitting them.  The tom is sitting on 11 eggs and the girls have 12 under them.  The girls decided to put their nest right in front of the door of the pen.

hopefully the eggs will hatch for me. 

Sorry to hear about your hatch. :hugs

my turkey has quit laying as far as I can tell. she was laying every other day and layed about 8 or 9 eggs and now nothing. unless she has a nest outside somewhere, but I dont think so because last year she layed about 3 eggs for the season. so I guess 8 eggs is an improvement???

Sorry to hear about your hatch.
hugs.gif

It was my first try with the incubator... I took it as a learning experience although dang it I so wanted the little buggers to hatch... I will definately try the incubator again at a later date. not sure yet if chickens, turkeys, ducks or hoping geese... lol

Quote:
It was my first try with the incubator... I took it as a learning experience although dang it I so wanted the little buggers to hatch... I will definately try the incubator again at a later date. not sure yet if chickens, turkeys, ducks or hoping geese... lol
Just my opinion... Don't start with geese. They are the hardest to me.

Well, it seems I was wrong. I did not set 55 turkey eggs after all. In fact it was 62. I recounted them last night when I did the ten day candle. The amazing thing about it though is that every single one of them appears to be developing!
We're going to be overrun with poults by the end of the month if the hatch percentage is good.

We did the twenty fifth day candle last night. Only found three quitters out of the sixty two set. Fifty nine into the hatching trays. One had already begun to pip!

Back
Top Bottom