Area vs Bird Number

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mommto3kiddos, Apr 11, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    We are in the process of builing our coop/run.. The "grass area" will be 64 SQFT.. I have 6 laying hens and after removing roos I will have 6 small bantam chickens..

Do you think this is enough "grass area" for them. They will have free range of our 1 acre fenced yard during most days. I went BIG in hopes of future adding to the flock [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    WAY plenty.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    So that's 12 chickens in a 64 square foot area, making just slightly over 5 square feet per chicken? I guess it depends on how large the coop itself is, and just how many days the chickens will be left confined in the pen. That strikes me as a bit crowded, actually.

Just to give you an idea, I have only 9 tiny bantams, and I find our 64 square foot runs too small to leave the whole flock in there for any length of time.

p.s. Say goodby to the "grass" in the grass area, too. With 12 chickens, it won't last a week.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  4. Shiphted

Shiphted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Roughly a full grown 20 week chicken should get 2.5sq ft per. So like myself i have a 300 sq ft coop with 30 chickens and i could easily add another 40. So you are plenty fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by