Aren't Babies Cute?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mattemma, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Even this little possum got a bunch of *oh how cute* comments from the kids! Trapped it last night in a 1089 havahart cage. I want to know where mom and the rest of the kids are! I have been trying to catch a groundhog,and here I have potential chicken killers lurking.City neighborhood in case anyone is wondering.

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ack! I don't think its cute. Makes me wanna [​IMG]

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

awwww... i used to have a pet opossum... she was a rescue who ended up not being able to be released into the wild because of inner ear/balance issues
    She was absolutely sweet and would curl up on the couch and sleep with the cats and dogs. she had incredibly soft fur too

I actually love opossums so long as they aren't killing my chickens.. same thing with raccoons and skunks.. but when they cross the line from stealing a few eggs to munching on my birds.. well... I get a little "upset" with them

4. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Are you going to shoot it? If not let it go way far away. They can get back from 5 miles away

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That little 'possum is old enough to be away from its momma. Honest! She may be very long gone, either to new territory or already pregnant with another crew of babies. A lot of people see small opossums and think they're babies, when they are really adolescents, long weaned and just toodling along next to their mother out of clannishness. Momma knows where to find all the good eats, so the "teens" tag along with her until she won't allow it any more.

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep setting that trap, you'll get Mamma. Might wanna use sweets, fruit and veggies so you don't waste time with the neighbor's cat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by