Aren't chickens suppose to be easy?????????

The whole reason I got them is because they are suppose to be the best almost like pets. I have 3 small girls and wanted them to be able to help to some degree with the chickens. From day one that has not been the case. If you go in they huddle and puff up and I am almost certain the roo is not happy. I swear my bantam roo tries to jump out of the coop everytime I open the door. He never was like that before. Almost like he is sitting there waiting for me to make the slightest error so he can escape.

But the BOs are so pretty. I will not give up on these three. Will try to keep trying to handle them to see if they get any better. The broody one has gotten where I can at least chase her down eventually but the other hen is impossible. Anyone got any ideas on a better breed to get that won't be agressive? And that are more consistent at laying. These didn't start laying until they were probably almost 40 weeks and they have never been consistent. Very healthy. Broody stayed on nest forever and never looked any worse for the wear.

We have 15 B.O. There are 14 hens and 1 rooster. We had 2 roosters, the smaller one was mean so culled him. The larger rooster took over being the dominate one and he is very protective of his girls. He isn't mean to us, but will watch us when we are in the run or outside. The girls are all sweet, as soon as I walk outside they come running to the edge of the run. They follow me in their coop and come up to me.

The only problem we have had is the 1 rooster. We've only gotten 1 egg and that was 2 days ago, they will be 20 weeks tomorrow.

I'm quite pleased with my leghorns they just started laying last wed. and haven't missed a day. If you want the kids to enjoy going in and getting a egg everyday any kind of leghorn breed will do. I don't think they are as crazy as some make them sound to be. I also have to dote on RIR they are the sweetest breed I have and my niece is very afriad of chickens and she can catch and hold one of the RIR she loves 'em. My RIR haven't started laying yet but they are supposed to be comparable to leghorns but with brown eggs.

O.k. I am new to the bator deal. As I said before bo stopped sitting a week into some eggs that my bantam layed under her. So I had to run out and get me a bator. Have three eggs that were laid while I was on vacation. I had a 6 day window on the eggs being laid. From candleing I knew which one was the oldest. I am on the first day that could be 21 days. I want to put them in the carton to try that method but am scared cause I can't say what day is the 18th day. Does it matter that much?

Anyways, I went down to rotate and heard me some sounds. I almost had a fit. The broody hen had sat on one egg and hatched it. But the other eggs had been laid under her and we didn't know it and the chick didn't make it 24 hours. I think she was confused. So this is really exciting. I even went and yanked my 8 and 6 yr old girls up so they could hear it. And then my lil egg put on a show. You could hear 'em just signing up a storm. Might have to call him Elvis. HA. I laugh cause I have no idea what I am doing. But I am doing it. And some times it actually seems like it might work.
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:love:clap:ya:thumbsup I am too excited.

Back
Top Bottom