ARG! I think one of my hens are eating the eggs!

ksmith

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Nor Cal
Today I was outside and one of the Hens layed an egg outside of the coop on the aphalt. It broke open and my new hampshire hen ran over, grabbed the egg, and started chowing down. I ran over to hen immediately and grabbed the egg (what was left of it) and gave it to the dogs. Then I just checked the nesting boxes to collect eggs and one of them had been broken, and looked like partly eaten!! The New Hampshire was in the top nest sitting with a yellow yolk beak, so I am pretty sure it is her that is doing it. What can I do to stop this hen? Espically before she teaches the rest to eat the eggs too. I am going to check the nests very often so I can collect the eggs quickly. Do you think I could replace the eggs with fake wooden eggs, so when she trys to break them open it wont work? what do you think? thank you!

I read an article in Chickens magazine that you can put in golf balls, she will peck and nothing will break. Also, read about filling an empty shell with mustard, if she gets a taste of it she will not like it at all, this may also prevent the eating of eggs. Oh, and wooden eggs may work too. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom