Arghh, another drop off. In labour? update. help now please!

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
This morning when my kids left for school I got quite a fright as a streak of orange ran quickly into the house. I have 3 cats, none of them are orange so it surprised me. I said here kitty kitty and this poor little thing ran right up to me. I have never seen her before and she is Humongous. She isn't a very large cat I would say fairly young but she is very pregnant. I am a sucker and have put her in my bathroom with a box. My cats are all spayed/neutered and I have never dealt with a pregnant cat before and I am worried and need advice from people with experience. She seems to be panicking. She is running all over and VERY affectionate when I go in there, she is under my feet or on my lap and it just seems strange to me. She also has a small amount of pinkish discharge so I am assuming she is very close to giving birth?
Any advice would be appreciated. Also I gave her some food which she hasn't touched. She seems pretty malnourished her little hip bones are sticking out .

Help me. She is now in labor I walked in the bathroom and she was walking around with a kitten hanging out of her. the sack is gone, it is alive and meowing but still attached what do i do? Waiting for vet to call back, hasnt yet!

Last edited:
That's a very kind, humane thing that you're doing. Good luck placing the kittens and with whatever you decide about the mama cat. Sure wish I had time to send you some of my clothes because every cat I've ever had since I was a small boy always found my clothes to have their kittens on. She sounds like a great cat; betcha her owners are worried sick. Our cats always got killed by coyotes or foxes when they got out, so we only have two corgi dogs now. Oh, and mice; we also have mice now as well as the dogs.

that happened to me once I opened my door for the mail man and a cat ran in. I put her in a bathroom and with in a few hours she had had a litter of kittens. Cats are very smart she probably new your house was a safe haven and needed a place to have her babies.

After she is done nursing them and the milk has dried up you should get her spaid.

Good luck orange kitties are usually easy to find homes for.

Check her for flees though since you should not frontline her because of the pregnant thing but it would be good to know if she is infested with them before they spread to your other cats.

oh and take pics everyone loves new kitten pics
smile.png

Awww... My cats are all drop offs or adoptees. I wouldn't bet on the owners being worried sick. Around here they don't bother getting them fixed and boot them out when they realize the poor thing is preggers. I've seen three different cats give birth and it sounds like she is in labor. You should be able to see and or feel contractions soon.

I agree I don't think the owners would care. All my cats are also drop offs. The last cat we decided to keep my husband actually watched get tossed out of a car not far from our house in the middle of winter. She fortunately wasn't pregnant yet and we got her spayed. I hate that people do things like this. Poor thing.

You are going to have to basically hold her paw through the delivery.
likely wont eat untill the babies are born, make sure there is plenty of fresh water available for her to drink.
if she is at you constantly needing attention she is worried about being alone, sometimes cats want/need a nursemaid to sit the birthing ot with them. if possible and feasable you could sit with her through delivery.

I had a drop off do the very thing your gong through, had to sit with her through out delivery because if I moved she would gt up and follow. very distracting and dangerous when a kitten is half born and they decide not to stay put.
good luck with delivery and please post pictures when they are born.
oh try giving her a little tuna water, it iwll have minerals and vitamins that will help with delivery.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The little I know of cats giving birth was they like to be alone but like you said she seems almost frantic when I leave the room. I am on maternity leave so I have time to sit with her. She wants to sit on my lap. Her discharge is increasing and she is constantly licking and cleaning herself. I hope I don't have babies on my lap!

Quote:
Yes I thought it was a little strange too. She is solid orange. I f I could get her to Georgia you could have her. I don't think I can keep another cat but I will get her through this and try to find good homes for her babies and her as best I can.

Back
Top Bottom