Argon Gas For Euthanasia of Chickens

MissKat

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 15, 2012
We found a post on this site that suggested the Argon gas method, and it seems to be removed now--
After trying to rehabilitate a Red Ranger chick with splayed leg (we ordered these Red Rangers from the local feed store who got them from an Idaho hatchery. One pullet died the first night and this pullet had severe splay), we had no other alternative (this breed is a personal problem, and we wont be getting any others) than to put her down.
We didn't want to use an ax or knife, as this seemed too inhumane to a baby bird, whom we had invested great time in trying to help. SHAME ON YOU OTHERS FOR MAKING FUN OF PEOPLE that have chickens as pets "just use an ax" comments are made by ignoramases, not knowing the Karmic cycle-each life you take on this planet ADDS UP and when you die, you are in for a nice surprise-sorry, guess you had to be re-incarnated into an animal in your next lifetime!
We butcher plenty of chickens, it's just some don't need to go thru a miserable life and then death.
My husband has a Neon shop, so Argon was not hard to come by. If you go to a welding shop they can sell you a 75 percent Argon and 25 percent CO2 mix, commonly used in MIG welding. We took a 5 gallon bucket with the food grade lid, next a hole was drilled an inch from the bottom and clear tubing was put thru the hole (about an inch will do ). We glued that in with clear silicon calk.
When the decision day came, the chicken was placed gently into the pail and the top locked down.Then Duct tape was used to seal the lid . When the gas was administered, the little hen flapped her wings, and then expired. A humane euthanasia resulted, one that our vet couldn't do, because "he doesn't work on chickens".

After much research, it looks like argon is the way to go. I made my gas chamber this week and in the next few weeks I will try it out. I know I will have a hard time just cutting their necks. Thanks for the post. I plan on putting my results on you tube. @ widdisonplumbing

Please don't use a CO2 gas blend or straight CO2.

Blood level of CO2 is what induces the suffocation panic response. Without CO2, an animal (or human) will simply lose consciousness with no distress.

Back
Top Bottom