Argument with mom, need your input.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1maria100, Aug 7, 2011.

1. 1maria100

1maria100 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    I want to hatch, raise, and sell some chicks for a 4-H project, I have a pair of chickens picked out who I want to breed. My mom thinks it's too late in the year to do so but I don't think that is true. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

2. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    people still hatch eggs through winter [​IMG]

3. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

I pretty much hatch year round. A lot of people hatch in Spring & Fall.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I hatch all year round, but prefer late winter/early spring cause those ones always grow biggest. However if you have the facilities to look after them properly (i.e. indoors if your winters are very cold) then there's no reason you can't hatch chicks whenever you want to...

5. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    I agree that it can be done year round, I have some in the incubator right now.

The question is, where will these eggs/chicks be located.

If it is merely a concern of hers about the time if the year, its not a big deal. But if it is a question of whether she will have to help take care of them while you are in school, is another matter. Unless you are homeschooled as in the case with my daughter.

If she is all on board with all aspects but the timing, it should be no problem. What breeds are you looking at raising?

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    If they are large fowl tell her something along these lines

"Mom i need to hatch them in the winter it takes about 9 months for them to fully develop mature and fill out"

7. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you think maybe she's more concerned about your schedule with school starting and having birds to look after? Maybe she's worried about you having too much to do and the chores falling to her?

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:by the sounds of it the OP has the adult pair all ready.

I have a pair of chickens picked out who I want to breed.​

9. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    If you start right now you should be ok, but you may have an issue with demand. I don't know how many people want to buy chicks so close to fall. May depend on your area and how soon you can start. Good luck, I'm 4-H and FFA and think this is a really cool project plan depending on the demand in your area. Either way it will be fun.

10. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Are they a breed that goes broody? If you can let the hen set and hatch the eggs, then you are all set. I had a Silkie set on and hatch eggs in November when the temperature was just 19*F. If you use a brooder, you might need to keep them in there for a little longer. But really there is no difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by