Arizona Chickens

Quote:
Your kidding right? I mean the feed store told me "we only get turkey hens here". I bought two one week old chicks, could your statement indicate I have two tommys'? Oh brother I hope not otherwise they will be lucky to make it to Thanksgiving.

i am serious i will give you an example last year
i bought 18 turkeys at the feed store
all 18 were toms

Coops cleaned, lawn out back mowed, pool is gorgeous (went swimming after I mowed the lawn) spoke at a funeral, had lunch, (Beets and greens out of my garden, raw shelled peas, boiled eggs with Parmesan cheese and honey mustard, and a Hershey bar for desert) I'm going to take a nap, go grocery shopping and put the finishing touches on my Sunday School lesson... "Who is my neighbor?".....

94 degrees out there... it's supposed to top out at 97... my cauliflowers are all wilty... I'll water them tonight and tomorrow we are having cooked cauliflower with butter and cheese for dinner... DELISH!

Quote:
The only thing I didn't like about my Kyle Coop is that he used chipboard, and it's flaking apart and warping already despite the 2 coats of exterior paint I used.

To prospective buyers considering this coop: You might also want to ask the builder to use hardware cloth, instead of chicken wire - chicken wire is not considered predator proof. It keeps chickens in, but does not keep predators out.

I asked Kyle about the hardware cloth option - it would have doubled the price. No predators here in the hood so I opted for the basics only.

So hopefully this is just a normal thing, but thought I'd check. My chickens have only occasionally come out of the nesting box. They keep clamoring on top of one another, like who can get furthest in the corner. I had to lure them out of there with scratch this morning. And although I've shown them where the water is, not positive they are actually drinking it (I put one at it and she just stepped in it*). I kinda figured we just brought them home last night, it'll take a couple days to warm up to the location and us....but just wanted to make sure! The BR likes to peck at us when we try to pick her up or touch her.

*We're just using a bowl for the moment while we rig up an auto waterer. Which would have been done today, except someone drilled the hole a little bigger than it was supposed to be. Tomorrows project.

Hey folks, we are in Tucson too..way out in Picture Rocks to be exact..we loved living in town but wanted more space...yea chickens!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Sounds normal. It is darker and "safer" feeling in there for them right now. They will be flighty for a while until they get used to their new surroundings and you. Just keep at it. If you are really worried about their water, you could dip their beaks in it. When you catch one, hang onto it for a while and feed it a treat or a little scratch. They will calm down eventually.

Turkeybreeder - I 'm glad your Grandmother's surgery went well. I agree, I don't like long bus rides. Chewing candied ginger (or regular ginger if you can take it) might help with the motion sickness. It has worked for me.

Gallo WHOOOHOOOO!
jumpy.gif
11 new chickens, that is leading towards geometric population growth!
ya.gif

Finally, CHICK PICS!!! O.k., the pictures won't measure up to the cuteness levels brought lately by mandymooligan, lareePQG or nurseshelly, but here goes. There are 7 mostly black chicks and 4 pure yellow chicks. Smiles-N-Sunshine, I think that might tell you something about the activity of your BA roo!
big_smile.png

The chicks are delightful and I am thoroughly pleased with how the hatch turned out.

56638_chicks1.jpg
56638_chicks2.jpg

edited to make sense.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom