Arizona Chickens

Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

tightwad, Mosquitos are always a problem here in Tucson during monsoon season, but I think they were made worse this year by a leak in the city water well, which is right next to my house. There was standing water in a big puddle there for the past three months. They finally fixed it last week.

Beckyhsinglsc, I don't think dried-store bought oregano would work and here's why: I put the fresh oregano (spicy Greek) in the boxes on Sat. The aroma has been quite strong until today. When I went to check this afternoon there were about equal numbers of mosquitos in both boxes. I suspect whatever influence the herbs might have on mosquitos will be fleeting and dependent on the intensity of the outgassing compounds.

pastrymama and Mikey D, Yes! I agree that rosemary might be very effective given it's fragrance. After I checked this afternoon and found mosquitoes in with the fading oregano, I put in rosemary and checked it an hour later. There were no mosquitos in the that box. I think that rosemary would last longer than just about anything too. I'm also going to try mint tomorrow as I have a lot of that and it also is very aromatic.

Tracydr, I don't have any experience with lemon grass, but if it's very aromatic, it might be worth trying.

Mahonri, Congratulations on the POW! It's so cute.

The Critter Place, congratulations on the eggs hatching!

ca, I use google scholar. If you find a paper that doesn't have a free downloadable version, there are two tricks to getting it without paying (providing the paper is relatively recent and the authors aren't deceased or retired). First, try the home academic web sites of the authors. Often you can find a free downloadable version there. I you don't find it there, email the corresponding author and ask if they have a .pdf they can mail you. If they don't have one (which is not that uncommon for papers pre-1995ish), you can ask that they mail you a reprint. You'll find that most authors are very helpful and will send the file within hours of requesting it. In fact, I do it all the time and every request I've ever made has been fulfilled.

Bob's Henhouse, Congratulations on finishing up the move! I'll bet you'll be glad to get your life back once you settle in.

Arizonachicken, I wonder if that is the start of verticillium wilt? http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/2006/08/im-sorry-mr-lycopersicon-its.html

Quote:
Congratulations!

Really great picture!

Yes, Congrats! - that is adorable! Did you stage it or were they like that?

No staging... there were actually THREE chicks on top of her and by the time I got the camera, there was only one.

Quote:
Yes, yes. . .inquiring minds want to know.

Nothing HAPPENED, happened.

But a large number of us actively trade, buy, and sell birds amongst ourselves. I don't get birds from anyone who is NOT on BYC, and nevereverever unless I have been to their house. I can think of one exception--Meg--and only because she is a neat freak. I don't let birds out of my flock unless I KNOW the whole flock has been healthy for several months.

I do not frequent feed stores with nasty conditions or sick animals. Ever.

I don't accept rescue birds---even though my flock is vaccinated for the big stuff, I never know what new terror the rescue bird might bring.

Even then, I have had a number of problems with disease--- my neighbor's free-ranging turkeys destroyed my gardens and introduced IB one year. Those turkeys are all delightfully dead now, but even without the stupid buggers, I cant control whose yard the rat birds have been to before they come into my yard. My (SINGLE) rescue bird brought coryza.

Some of the big proponents for the Tour de Coups (and Rent a Hen) work/frequent at Baker's Nursery, I used to spend my lunches there. From my conversations with them, I can say their thoughts on biosecurity are different from my own.

LONG PARTY POOPER SHORT: It seems like a bad idea to let a bunch of random chicken-keepers tromp through my yard. Also, I would feel guilty if I brought something into their yard that their chickens had not been vaccinated against.

...but a box of booties may be a good solution.

They had booties at every location last year. And hand sanitizer. I was impressed for the most part, but I DID see people break protocol.

Gallo: I don't think it is verticillium wilt. I believe that starts in the lower leaves and works its way up. On mine, it's the upper leaves that are wilting and the lower are fine. Also no spots on the leaves either. I could be wrong, of course. I'm wondering if it's getting too cool at night, or too hot in the day? It seems to be the newer, smaller stems at the very top that are affected, the ones that are the most exposed. I'll keep monitoring it and see what happens.
hu.gif

Hi Everyone,
Longtime lurker here- i feel like I already know most of you! Here's the scoop-I live in Gilbert, no HOA. I have always thought that chickens were legal to have here in my neck of the woods, but such does not seem to be the case. I found a notice on my front door yesterday that I was in violation of the zoning laws and had 10 days to remove my chickens and be inspected. Now I know I am in good company here because of the recent experiences of Mahonri and Meg Moringa-seed, but this STINKS BIGTIME!

The Gilbert code says, "On each lot up to 20,000 net square feet of area, any combination of up to 25 rodents and fowl are permitted. For each additional 20,000 square feet of lot area, an additional 25 rodents or fowl are permitted." That makes it sound like chickens are O.K. right? Well, I guess not, because they say this additional zoning rule also applies- "Animal Raising, Non-Commercial. The keeping, grazing or feeding of fowl or animals not for profit." is not a permitted use in my zoning area. So the planning department says that chickens are not a permitted use, but they also said that it wouldn't do me much good even if they were a permitted use because the chickens would need to be confined to an area at least 100 feet from any property line. I live on a postage stamp lot, but this requirement disqualifies most everyone from legally owning chickens, even if they are on an acre of land.

Any ideas what can be done? I'm game for just about anything. The planning department told me of a case a few years ago where a woman was told to get rid of her chickens, but instead she enclosed the coop within her building envelope and made them "house chickens." I was ready to do that because I have a large patio area that would be relatively easy to enclose, but it seems they have since closed that loophole, unfortunately.

I don't want to lose my chickens because i would miss them terribly, but you guys already know that. I know I am not the first, nor the last for this to happen to but it really shouldn't be happening to anyone.

After lurking around here for about a year I finally created an account so I could join you good folks here. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and info you've provided that has helped me in getting started. I found everything I've needed to know about raising and managing a flock right here on BYC.

I live in San Tan Valley near Ironwood & Ocotillo with my wife and 5 kids. I'm an IT professional and work mostly with websites. About year ago we became close friends with another family in the neighborhood who gave us a dozen eggs from their backyard chickens. As we ate them I looked at my wife and said, "let's do it!" It's been such a wonderful thing for our family. We love our birds and still get excited when we collect the eggs.

109648_coop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom