Arizona Chickens

I think I may have a strange Amerecauna on my hands. She literally lays and egg every day right now. Has been laying 5 days in a row takes a day off and then lays for another 5 days. I do not do artificial lighting and my RIR and BR are only laying about every other day. Anyone else have the same scenario or is she just a super chick? I didn't think she would be laying this much.

My EE does that. Blue/Green egg daily, only she doesn't take days off. lol ... actually none of my chickens takes days off... I'm guessing it's partially breed specifc and partially just the chicken in question. I was told my Silkie would probably only lay once or twice a week average, but someone forgot to tell her this. She lays daily rain or shine. She has the cutest little eggs though. :)

Here ya go ! I need a BF who will buy a dozen of these babie for just me.

http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/ayam-cemani/
Hah....good luck with that request!
wink.png

I had seen an ad on CL recently, someone in the east valley breeding the Ayam Cemani was taking deposits for future chicks....or else you had to contact them to hold and deposit. They stated they would have a limited quantity. Seems someone in our neck of the woods decided to give it a go and provide availability for us backyard farmers. Did anyone else see this? Maybe they are part of the forum....
idunno.gif

:lau a picture is :gig worth a 100 words :D
I saw a couple of my girls going in this box..... Or leaving this box. I think Mary, my broody, is chasing the girls out. Now looking to see if there are other spots they are laying. I should have gotten max 23/27eggs. I have found now 18 eggs. There may be more out there.

I extend my prayers and heartfelt well wishes to you both, Angelray and LadyKotaDoria. You will find the strength to get through. Easier said than done but it is very true.
I thought sharing this with you seemed appropriate given what you are going through. Whomever wrote this was very wise.
To the others on this thread, "tis the season"....
ENLIGHTENED PERSPECTIVE

Take the time to read these, and perhaps you'll come away with an enlightened perspective.
The subjects reflected in this often affect us daily.

I've learned....
That the best classroom in the world
is at the feet of an elderly person.

I've learned....
That when you're in love, it shows.

I've learned....
That just one person saying to me,
'You've made my day!' makes my day.

I've learned....
That having a child fall asleep in your arms
is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.

I've learned....
That being kind is more important than being right.

I've learned....
That you should never say no to a gift from a child.

I've learned....
That no matter how serious your life requires you to be,
everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.

I've learned....
That sometimes all a person needs is a
hand to hold and a heart to understand.

I've learned....
That simple walks with my father around
the block on summer nights when I was
a child did wonders for me as an adult.

I've learned....
That life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

I've learned....
That money doesn't buy class.

I've learned....
That it's those small daily happenings
that make life so spectacular.

I've learned...
That under everyone's hard shell is someone
who wants to be appreciated and loved.

I've learned....
That to ignore the facts does not change the facts.

I've learned....
That when you plan to get even with someone,
you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.

I've learned....
That love, not time, heals all wounds.

I've learned....
That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is
to surround myself with people smarter than I am.

I've learned....
That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.

I've learned....
That no one is perfect until you fall in love with them.

I've learned...
That life is tough, but I'm tougher.

I've learned....
That opportunities are never lost;
someone will take the ones you miss.

I've learned....
That when you harbor bitterness,
happiness will dock elsewhere.

I've learned....
That I wish I could have told my Mom that I love
her one more time before she passed away.

I've learned....
That one should keep his words both soft and tender,
because tomorrow he may have to eat them.

I've learned....
That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

I've learned....
That when your newly born grandchild holds your
little finger in his little fist, that you're hooked for life.

I've learned....
That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain,
but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.

I've learned....
That the less time I have to work with,
the more things I get done.

Recent photo of ducklings in their play pool brooder.
This is a photo of the very first ducklings hatched from my flock. They live in Yarnell now. This will give you an idea of what they will look like at approx. 2 1/2 months.

I have 10 ducklings available to rehome for $7 each, straight run. They were hatched on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1. They come from my mixed free range flock consisting of Blue and Black Swedish, a pair of Rouens, a pair of Cayugas and a Khaki Campbell drake. All ducklings look to be blue and black swedish. One blue has a crest.

They are still under heat lamp and losing down as feathers are coming in. PM me if interested. Thank you.

Morning All! Another absolutely beautiful morning around here and it's only going to be getting better.

I think most of us don't use heat at all. Make sure it is properly insulated for extreme colds, but overall just needs rain and wind protection. I'm not quite sure why, but I found all of my flock sleeping on my back porch this morning instead of inside their coop. It was strange to see them all nestled in together like that, but they seemed very content. I wish I had my phone handy for a photo.

I think I may have a strange Amerecauna on my hands. She literally lays and egg every day right now. Has been laying 5 days in a row takes a day off and then lays for another 5 days. I do not do artificial lighting and my RIR and BR are only laying about every other day. Anyone else have the same scenario or is she just a super chick? I didn't think she would be laying this much.
My EE, now about 8 months, still isn't laying, but comb and face keep getting redder and she likes to go sit in the nest box. She's running out of time
tongue.png
But, the Australorp laid her first egg on 11/2, laid 5 then skipped a day, then has laid every day since. And the two Leghorn mutts, after getting off to a slow start, are now laying every day. It's so nice that they all lay at about the same time, so I just go out at 10:00 and collect 3 eggs. If Big Red (EE) doesn't get in gear, she'll be gone, and then in the spring, I'll add a couple more 5-6 month-olds to the flock. In a few months, I'll be interested to see who has some pullets/starters available!! Chicken math - it's a wonderful thing!

What kind of heat lamps do you all have in your coops? My coop only holds two gals so I'm not sure of the wattage. TIA

Any strength will work. Just raise it higher if they seem to move away...they will tell you if its too hot/cold. I have a 250 red light outside up here by Prescott and the girls (10wks) sit just outside its hottest part and walk around to cool off once in awhile. Its about 2ft off the floor.

Back
Top Bottom