Arizona Chickens

N Az sunny day in december so I let the girls out for a romp but had to use my phone camera instead of my Real Camera. MY THING a pretty silly NN/EE Cream Spangled Branbanter in foreground Nice nasty manure Any bugs here ? MY THING Big Blue, City farms this is the mother of your olive egger Splash Marans. The original owner wanted to get sell her because she was thinking rooster. Good For me ! Gota breed my two polish to a NN for more crested NNs. NNs are so much fun to breed. The are good all purpose birds, all weather tolerant, healthy good foragers with good personalities. BTW the NN thread is the my favorite site to learn genetics.
What's an NN?

My boys went to live on a farm today. Sob. I should be happy for them - they will be part of a breeding program. But… sob.

Now I just have to rehome two, twelve week old Lavender Ameraucanas I got from RedRocketRooster and I should be okay until the silkies decide what they want to be… At least the Lavs aren't crowing yet! Everyone I've spoken to was blown away that the Marans started crowing at nine weeks. That means my girl will lay eggs sooner than usual, too? haha

Angleray a NN is a naked neck is also called turken. The are both cold and heat tolerant and have less feather overall. Genes come in pairs, that is each gene for amount of feather, color of feathers, texture of feathers and so on and on is a pair and that is only important to know if your are interested in genes and breed birds or any other animal I suppose. Birds are fun projects because the gestation is so short.

Tha black bird in the pictures has only one copy of naked neck in his parents, and one copy from a crested chicken. If two copies for reduced feathers were present in both or either parent, she would have almost no feather on her neck. If both parent had two copies of crested feather on the head, she would have a naked neck with a bigger crest. That is what I am trying to breed. LOL A showgirl without silkie feathers, so to speak. It fun to do when you are retired.

Last edited:
Now I just have to rehome two, twelve week old Lavender Ameraucanas I got from RedRocketRooster and I should be okay until the silkies decide what they want to be… At least the Lavs aren't crowing yet! Everyone I've spoken to was blown away that the Marans started crowing at nine weeks. That means my girl will lay eggs sooner than usual, too? haha
Are you kidding. They never do what you want them to do.

What is your Hunters Stew recipe?
Hunters Stew were I am from, Minnesota, was basic 3 vegetables, carrets, onion and celery, chopped in a starter broth. (Left over broth from a fowl or even beef, veal, mutton, lam, or pork, with pork preferred over beef or a mix of any or part.) any meat, preferably venison, duck, goose, pheasant, Wild Turkey or left overs.... Or any meat mixed or un mixed. How you season depends on what is in the pot and what is in season. Similar to a Mulligan Stew, for some reason no potato's in the Hunters Stew. It was poured over a trencher (bread). A hunters Stew can also be the tid bits, such as cheek tongue and little bits from all over the animal including the liver and kidneys. You can put in it barely or svelt or other whole grain buds. Again, I may have been told Hunters Stew because it was Nove, hunting season, and they did not know what to call it.

No reall rules, hardy fair around the camp site using what you have. Never had it that way, kitchen and higher grades of meat. I will have to look it up, that might not even be Hunters Stew. When I asked what it was I was told Hunters Stew. It was broth made from bones that had duck in it. The meat was pieces of duck and left over, I think chicken. Other the the basic 3, It had mushrooms, I believe garlic (it tasted like it), pearl barly (my first time), left over string beans, salt pepper. If it had more in it I do not remember, or couldn't tast it.

I am looking forward to you Hunter Stew.

I got eggs tonight from City Farm. Dose anyone see happy in Mary's eyes? She just looks determined to me.
{the dark on her head in Blue-Kote, her comb was damaged, she lost part of it.
I also had a question answered. I lock the youngsters in at night, but,
Rosa, is often out and about when I get up. She is roosting with the big girls. Because she is little she must be always using the nesting box and going in after they are snuggled down for the night.

No my girls are not molting right now. Dec. 22 is the longest night of the year in about 3 weeks... That could be it. A 6 or 8 week rest. I believe force laying gives an inferior egg and is hard on the chicken. Everything that the egg gets is from her body. The chicks are coming up on 12 weeks, I would hate to see them molt during the coldest weather.

-------------------------
Just looked up Hunters Stew, it is about what I wrote above, cabbage is very popular and some people believe it is a must. Preserved tomato's (paste, canned, or dried) and lots of mushrooms are also important. Not supposed to be fancy cooking, but stick to the ribs, tasty use of all food. But in my quick look I did not see any grain called for, and my friends mother used no cabbage ether. I love cooked cabbage I would have remembered that. Pictures were bowls, no trenches. I will give her grains and poured on bread as chiefs creative touch. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
LKD How many eggs does Mary have ? She does look determined. I am making hunter's stew. All day the range turkey bones simmered and were cleaned. Tomorrow I add the parsnips, celery, onions, garlic and barley. Then I'll be ready to go.

Today was 60 degrees and sunny. One egg was found in the nexting box. And then the wind blew it off the cabinet and SMASH ! what luck !

LKD How many eggs does Mary have ?  She does look determined.  I am making hunter's stew. All day the range turkey bones simmered and were cleaned. Tomorrow I add the parsnips, celery, onions, garlic and barley. Then I'll be ready to go. 

Today was 60 degrees and sunny.  One egg was found in the nexting box. And then the wind blew it off the cabinet and SMASH !  what luck !

That's just my luck as well! That stew sounds yummy. Hope you get many fuzzy butts!

Back
Top Bottom