Arizona Chickens

OMG I just lost my BIG RED. Coyote dug under fence. Red feathers everywhere. I AM SO SICK OF THESE **** COYOTES. I am down to 3 egg layers now, down from 7. The only thing I'm feeding out here is the coyotes. Well I have to fill in the hole that they came in from. **** **** ****

Quote: Sure I will post some pictures. I have 11 pea's at the moment that range in age from 1 to 7. I have 3 peacocks and the rest are peahens.

Atticus, my hand raised boy when he was a year and 1/2 old. Atticus when he was just a little fellow.

Atticus showing off his first eye feather. Atticus and one of his girlfriends The Morrigan.

Raja, Atticus's dad. Raja and Mamma Jane

Mamma Jane sitting on eggs. Kumar and Kumari

Gorgeous birds! The sweet potatoes I've grown would not trellis very well; they really want to go flat over the ground. For vines on the pens I like grapes. I just got a passion fruit vine for my patio area but I haven't yet researched to find out if they are toxic to chickens. They're supposed to grow very fast too. Oh, and I wonder about Queen's Wreath? Does anyone know if they are chicken safe?

OMG I just lost my BIG RED. Coyote dug under fence. Red feathers everywhere. I AM SO SICK OF THESE **** COYOTES. I am down to 3 egg layers now, down from 7. The only thing I'm feeding out here is the coyotes. Well I have to fill in the hole that they came in from. **** **** ****
OH CRUD! Speak of the devils and there they are. I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

Will you post photos of your peafowl ? How old is he/she?
Sure I will post some pictures. I have 11 pea's at the moment that range in age from 1 to 7. I have 3 peacocks and the rest are peahens. Atticus, my hand raised boy when he was a year and 1/2 old. Atticus when he was just a little fellow. Atticus showing off his first eye feather. Atticus and one of his girlfriends The Morrigan. Raja, Atticus's dad. Raja and Mamma Jane Mamma Jane sitting on eggs. Kumar and Kumari
Awesome!! Thank you.. A few of us have talked about having 3-5 peacocks running threw our neighborhood.. Out Of 8 of us only 3 said they would feed them.. So the answer ended up being no.. Not as of now..

There is no question about coyote aggression. I know that when I was taking care if my mom is SCW, I saw fewer coyotes, but sitings were up. I was aggressive when ever I saw them. (This is the area just around mom's condo). They learned I was to avoide. Is what I figure. I cam around the corner one day, saw one in the street. It turned and ran into a cout yard. Whare as up until then they would just watch at a distance.

I was in Blythe years ago, talking to a little old lady with a walker. She had lived in the same house all her life. She told me no coyote comes into her yard when her lights are on, she used a pea shooter and yelled at them. I believe her. Chickens and small dogs/cats is a whole nother subject. Learning what humans to a void in a given area, and were the food, pups coming up will learn and get smarter. Getting around the humans for dinner. Electrice wires, foundation under the fencing, heavier fencing for coyotes and chicken wire for the chickens, maybe trapping adult coyotes and relocating them. Of cause relocating could kill them in the long run. I do not know the hunting laws on coyotes. I know, for members not living in the city, they can just shoot them. Maybe a blow gun...... But you have to be there, see it and load and fire..... It is so in adequate. They come more at night, and opportunistic. I drought that being afraid me would do much good if one thought he could snatch and grab in front of me.

somad.gif
I'm so sorry for your loss. No matter how careful we are, it never seems to be quite enough. I hope I don't end up eating my words from a couple days ago when I said I was sure that our coop/run were predator-proof.

I have had my losses from the coyotes. The only thing that seems to work here is a big dog. My chickens love my dog. They lay around him under a bush to stay cool and stay safe. He stays out at night even though I lock them up at night. I think he knows that his job is to protect my girls. He gets payed back by getting fresh eggs in his dog food. He loves them as much as we do. The 3 times I have lost chickens and ducks is when my dog was not in the yard to protect them. I have learned to leave my dog at home when we leave. We use to take him with us when we went anywhere but unfortunately he needs to stay home to protect the girls. We are almost done with our new larger coop that we can lock them up in if we need to go anywhere. We usually let them free range. I HATE the **** coyotes. You can not let your guard down EVER!!!
there are a lot of big dogs that are really working dogs. To have a job is to be complete for them. You have a happy dog. I am sure he know he has a job.

Back
Top Bottom