Arizona Chickens

Oh boy no fun finding blood.. Hope you can figure it out.. Our rooster ripped off our BCM comb. That bleed for 4-5 hours.. Condolences from us..
hit.gif
thanks city. just one of those weirdo things that happen around here sometimes. Oh poor BCM. That is a shame! hopefully it heals up without any issues. I've got several girls with scarred combs from the boys grabbing them. Especially those juveniles!

You could try okra or devil's claw, they both do well in the heat.  Have you ever tried fruit trees?  I've seen some in systems; dwarf peach, citrus, olive and pomegranate.  These were grown in southern Cal. but those trees do grow here in the ground.  I would think they should take to aquaponics.

Oh I've seen some bad growing conditions at tilapia farms here in the valley.  Yuck!  The meat from those fish can't taste right.  Clean systems will make a difference.

Most supermarket tilapia comes from China. You don't even want to know.

Well, wait, maybe we do want to know?? Any documentary's about that?

I totally agree with this. Birds that are properly acclimated will do fine, assuming they have adequate access to shade, water and ventilation. I keep a large black rubber pan of water (Fortex brand feed bowl, from the feed store) in the coop/run for them to stand in. I just dump the dirty water in the run when I change it out.

Artificial cooling has a way of breaking when it is needed most, and then the birds are really stressed because of the sudden change. They have a much better chance of survival if they can acclimate slowly.

It helps if you have birds from local breeders. They are more likely to be resistant to common local diseases and better able to handle local weather conditions.

Well, wait, maybe we do want to know?? Any documentary's about that?

OK, keep in mind that tilapia are pretty tough, and will eat just about anything. Most tilapia in China are raised in ditches next to feedlots. Chickens, cows, goats, whatever.
When the feedlot gets too dirty, it is sluiced down with a hose into a drainage ditch, where the tilapia take care of things. When the tilapia grow big enough, they are sold and the money is used to buy more feed for the primary animals. This is why you see many warnings on the web not to eat tilapia. I'm sure there is clean tilapia out there somewhere. Which does your local supermarket sell?

I totally agree with this.  Birds that are properly acclimated will do fine, assuming they have adequate access to shade, water and ventilation.  I keep a large black rubber pan of water (Fortex brand feed bowl, from the feed store) in the coop/run for them to stand in.  I just dump the dirty water in the run when I change it out.

Artificial cooling has a way of breaking when it is needed most, and then the birds are really stressed because of the sudden change.  They have a much better chance of survival if they can acclimate slowly.

It helps if you have birds from local breeders.  They are more likely to be resistant to common local diseases and better able to handle local weather conditions.

I just stuck my iPhone under/into the Bouganvilla and pushed the button. Pretty good picture I think for inside a bush. Ha they're not panting or anything.
tried again and my EE was still posing. I've gotten to where I only check on them once during the heat of the day because they're doing so well. The secret is to wet the ground thoroughly (like puddles) then you just barely have to spray it and it will be a cooling spot for them during the day. I picked a spot that is shady around 2 pm or so.

Last edited:
I am in Glendale.
When it is very hot, I do set up a mister where the chickens can get into the mist if they want.
I have used a portable evap cooler but they seemed to prefer standing in the bleed-off water to cool their feet to being in the strongly moving air. They do have the run of the yard so will seek out the less hot places. I have lost older chickens during the peak of the summer and I'm sure the heat played a part.

I am in Glendale.
When it is very hot, I do set up a mister where the chickens can get into the mist if they want.
I have used a portable evap cooler but they seemed to prefer standing in the bleed-off water to cool their feet to being in the strongly moving air. They do have the run of the yard so will seek out the less hot places. I have lost older chickens during the peak of the summer and I'm sure the heat played a part.
welcome-byc.gif
chiengora!
Yes, I'm all into acclimated chickens and all. But, chickens didn't evolve in the desert (except maybe Fayoumis!). I would feel pretty bad if one (or more) of my chickens died, and it was preventable. Even if the heat doesn't kill them outright, the stress can't be good for them.

Last edited:
I am in Glendale.
welcome
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom