Arizona Chickens

If we did not already have a rooster, we would take one.. Check out this video.. If you need a color, we have extra.. Private message us if you decide to try it.
Hmm...I have seen this video. I just don't know what to think. Does your rooster seem "happy"? I like the idea of being able to keep one, but just worry it would make him uncomfortable.

You must feed your hens lots of carrots? and other foods with high carotene levels in it. That's what makes the yolks so much darker and richer in color!

Sorry to hear about losing your Hens Marcy....are you sure it's from the heat? I've NEVER lost a bird to the heat and I live in central Arizona in kind of a low spot where it gets a bit hotter even than the rest of the area I live in. I've had temp to 117 and not lost a bird. I don't use misters, but the birds go under the porch where it is dark and cool. they find their own means of keeping cool. They make use of the dust bath daily, and I do have a grey water trough out back that they occasionally soak their feet in. otherwise, they hate it when I turn on the mister and run from it. They don't like the swamp cooler I set  up for them...they run from it. They only like that cool spot  under the porch so I let them stay there. They are out foraging morning and evening, and I do wet things down when there is no rain so maybe just the coolness of the ground itself is good enough for my birds. I have lots of shade too, so I guess that helps. My hens get organic fruit and veggie scraps at least 3 times a week, and then their lay crumbles. They are as happy as a hen can be.

Can't remember if we welcomed you?

If we did not already have a rooster, we would take one.. Check out this video.. If you need a color, we have extra.. Private message us if you decide to try it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34eFiQ1p-hw width: 500px; height: 281px"> [/URL

Hmm...I have seen this video. I just don't know what to think. Does your rooster seem "happy"?  I like the idea of being able to keep one, but just worry it would make him uncomfortable. 

At first he did not know what to do.. Walking backward & trying to get it off.. Now he is totally fine.. He still crows, just not as loud.. I am going to try to adjust it & see of it helps with the volume.. At the end of his crowing finale it is not as loud as his dad or brother..

Sorry to hear about losing your Hens Marcy....are you sure it's from the heat? I've NEVER lost a bird to the heat and I live in central Arizona in kind of a low spot where it gets a bit hotter even than the rest of the area I live in. I've had temp to 117 and not lost a bird. I don't use misters, but the birds go under the porch where it is dark and cool. they find their own means of keeping cool. They make use of the dust bath daily, and I do have a grey water trough out back that they occasionally soak their feet in. otherwise, they hate it when I turn on the mister and run from it. They don't like the swamp cooler I set up for them...they run from it. They only like that cool spot under the porch so I let them stay there. They are out foraging morning and evening, and I do wet things down when there is no rain so maybe just the coolness of the ground itself is good enough for my birds. I have lots of shade too, so I guess that helps. My hens get organic fruit and veggie scraps at least 3 times a week, and then their lay crumbles. They are as happy as a hen can be.
Yes I am sure. It is obvious when you have birds that are fine one day, then the temperature spikes way up and they just keel over. There is a big difference when a bird can choose their own place when it gets hot vs confined. Two of mine were cock birds that are in small pens that have a lot metal. Metal side, metal roof...transmits the heat into the pen more. I've had the most problems when the temperature has been relatively stable then spikes up suddenly. Some of the birds can't adjust. There are breed differences as well in how well they can handle the heat here. That last temp. spike caught me by surprise, otherwise I'd have put water bowls in with them that they could stand in.

Yes, you welcomed me, a long time ago. I just don't post often. Only recently because I felt I had something to offer...Thanks anyway!

A big THANKS to moms3cuties and K9Dave for picking up some of our hens today. It was great to meet both of you!

We still have 3 EE's left (2 rust colored and one white) and one Maron if anyone is interested in adding to your flock.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the 2 Australorps & 2 Marans!
smile.png
I could be there close to 1 30 after work, , if that works for you tomorrow! maybe k9Dave & I can come at the same time if its easier for you? Just a thought.
idunno.gif

I'll let you know if I can adopt some quail hens. I can't wait to eat some adorible quail eggs that you brought over thank you so very much. It was a pleasure to have you over and to Finally meet some Byc members!
yesss.gif
I hope you enjoy the quail eggs. They are richer tasting than chicken eggs since they have a higher yolk to white ratio.

Wow, that is a lot of eggs... If we only had the room..
Just think how tiny those quail are...
big_smile.png

I still want to get some from you. Miguel has asked if I am still getting him white quail.
The white ones are so cute, and they talk you me unlike my browns that try to "kill" my hand when it reaches into their cages. They are so docile they are perfect kid sized poultry. (Though they are considered "game birds".)

Sorry to hear about losing your Hens Marcy....are you sure it's from the heat? I've NEVER lost a bird to the heat and I live in central Arizona in kind of a low spot where it gets a bit hotter even than the rest of the area I live in. I've had temp to 117 and not lost a bird. I don't use misters, but the birds go under the porch where it is dark and cool. they find their own means of keeping cool. They make use of the dust bath daily, and I do have a grey water trough out back that they occasionally soak their feet in. otherwise, they hate it when I turn on the mister and run from it. They don't like the swamp cooler I set up for them...they run from it. They only like that cool spot under the porch so I let them stay there. They are out foraging morning and evening, and I do wet things down when there is no rain so maybe just the coolness of the ground itself is good enough for my birds. I have lots of shade too, so I guess that helps. My hens get organic fruit and veggie scraps at least 3 times a week, and then their lay crumbles. They are as happy as a hen can be.
Sounds like you have the perfect set up for your hens to stay cool. Don't they tend to lay eggs under the porch? I recall @LadyKotaDoria had a similar set up and couldn't figure out why her hens quit laying. Turns out they had dozens hidden in their cool day time hide out! Sneaky chickens!

I lost a young quail last night.
hit.gif
They were fine last night when I checked on them but this morning one of the baby boys was dead of an apparent head injury. Quail are known for startling straight up so the recommended cage height is 14 inches or less so they can't get enough speed to knock their heads too hard on the roof or over 6 foot so they can control their trajectory and not knock their heads. The babys' grow out cages is only 12 inches so something must have really spooked him overnight.
idunno.gif
I've not seen any cats in my backyard since I have so many dogs but who knows what happens once the dogs are sleeping. I don't think a fox would risk coming into a yard with dogs, and I've not seen the roadrunner since it finished raising this year's chicks. I put some potted plants around their cages to help them feel more secure and need to add some boxes or baskets for them to hide in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom